Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Spotted today.

Post by geoberni »

Not quite today, but I've recently watched a couple of Agatha Christie Miss Marple stories made for ITV around 2005/6. One of them had this Traveller in it, but the Registration now belongs to a 2010 Black Vauxhall... :cry:
Has the number been transferred and the car still survives? Pity if its gone in the past 12 years.
Or does someone around here know different??
20180113_215850A.jpg
20180113_215850A.jpg (645.91 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
Another episode had this Woolsley Police Car, TYP636, but that reg now belongs to a 350cc 1957 Douglas motorcycle, but showing a First Registration date in 1996. :-? Who knows, exported and then imported perhaps. '57 was the final year of Douglas motorcycles.
But it is a bit of a puzzle if in 2005/6 when the TV programme was made, this Reg had already been on a motorcycle for 10 years????
20180113_211603A.jpg
20180113_211603A.jpg (920.37 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
Basil the 1955 series II

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Not necessarily a puzzle. In recent years the production art departments seem to do their research quite well and produce very accurate 'fake' registration numbers. This being done to protect the true identies of vehicles on loan from private owner/enthusiasts.
Example: first series of Inspector George Gently. Supposedly located in 1960s Northumberland but actually filmed in Ireland. Plenty of period-correct but non-existent Northumberland / Newcastle / Durham reg. numbers to be seen.
The picture above shows TYP636 carried by a Wolseley 6/80, production of which ended in 1954. The TYP*** series, issued in the former London County Council area was in use between March 1957 and February 1958, so I reckon it is almost certainly an art department work of fiction! :)
1956 4-door called Max
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

palacebear wrote:Not necessarily a puzzle. In recent years the production art departments seem to do their research quite well and produce very accurate 'fake' registration numbers. This being done to protect the true identies of vehicles on loan from private owner/enthusiasts.
Example: first series of Inspector George Gently. Supposedly located in 1960s Northumberland but actually filmed in Ireland. Plenty of period-correct but non-existent Northumberland / Newcastle / Durham reg. numbers to be seen.
The picture above shows TYP636 carried by a Wolseley 6/80, production of which ended in 1954. The TYP*** series, issued in the former London County Council area was in use between March 1957 and February 1958, so I reckon it is almost certainly an art department work of fiction! :)
Yeah, I get all that and it's what I'd expect in many cases; what I found puzzling was that the people responsible for the Woolsley had used a number that at the time they made the programme was already in use, rather than a true spoof that didn't exist, as per your example of the George Gently series.
If you're going to make up fake plates, surely the idea is not to use genuine ones from another vehicle. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I see what you mean. Somehow I doubt the person responsible for 'fake plates' takes the time to carry out TOO much research. They may even just trawl through Google images for something they can copy off an old photo!

Good likely example is the maroon split-screen Traveller from 'Partners in Crime' (BBC 2105). It wore its own plate 486UXR (still correct according to DVLA) for filming. The same year, the plate also appeared on the 1970-ish Merc driven by James Corden in the first of the confused.com tv adverts in which he featured. This anomaly was discussed briefly somewhere on this forum.

You're not the first to query the Wolseley/motorcycle discrepancy. It was noted on imcdb in 2013 and discussed briefly on the trucknet forum at around the same time :)
1956 4-door called Max
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by 1000179 »

On tv now.. “Heartbeat “
Attachments
13C05B05-FC9D-4D19-AEB1-E77285CB84B9.jpeg
13C05B05-FC9D-4D19-AEB1-E77285CB84B9.jpeg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 2179 times
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

A 'Heartbeat' regular.... Oscar Blaketon's car isn't it?
1956 4-door called Max
Minor Fan

Post by 1000179 »

Yes.. my wife just shook her head in disbelief when I jumped up and took a photo of the tv!
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

palacebear wrote:Not necessarily a puzzle. In recent years the production art departments seem to do their research quite well and produce very accurate 'fake' registration numbers. This being done to protect the true identies of vehicles on loan from private owner/enthusiasts.
I’ve got a pal in the business who says they are always particularly careful with anything involving railways or stage magic. Any errors and the enthusiasts will deluge them with complaints. I guess they can add moggies :)
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

You have your TV in portrait mode .... :o
Minor Fan

Post by 1000179 »

Exeter “Booker” car park today.. looks like it’s been hand painted.
Attachments
59AC05DA-5DA7-4A67-A8CA-9F9DF8E9CDDB.jpeg
59AC05DA-5DA7-4A67-A8CA-9F9DF8E9CDDB.jpeg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 2035 times
2D00AD18-C96C-418B-84C3-5B181CCC45AD.jpeg
2D00AD18-C96C-418B-84C3-5B181CCC45AD.jpeg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 2035 times
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Today in Bath - beautiful day to be out in your Moggie.
Attachments
005.JPG
005.JPG (676.72 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

1000179 wrote:Exeter “Booker” car park today.. looks like it’s been hand painted.
You can actually get a pretty good finish with hand painting. The Queen’s coaches are hand painted and most have a beautifully smooth deep gloss.

I did it on a mini once when I was a kid with no money. It came out very well. It was a special automotive paint designed to be brushed on. Not sure if such a thing exists these days.
Brian

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Tekaloid !! Wonderful stuff , used it years ago on a Ford Prefect I had rolled over . I blamed it on the transverse springs . Tekaloid is still available !!!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

GavinL wrote:Today in Bath - beautiful day to be out in your Moggie.
I guess she had just passed one of those signs that says "Use both Lanes"! :lol:
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

myoldjalopy wrote:
GavinL wrote:Today in Bath - beautiful day to be out in your Moggie.
I guess she had just passed one of those signs that says "Use both Lanes"! :lol:
It's the west county- we don't worry about such things :wink:
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Spotted this morning, on a trailer, passing near to Kidderminster Hospital. Red 2-door Minor with white roof and sun visor, and Rostyle wheels.
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Hopefully the memory will fade! :-?

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

This white roof thing seems to be catching on. Seem to be more and more of them around.

Can’t say I like it personally, but it’s very common in India on old mogs and Hindustani Ambassadors. That’s because of the sun of course.

Now if there had been a John Cooper S Minor.....
Brian

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Each to their own I guess. I'm definitely not a fan of the two-tone look on a Minor, unless it's just an original two-tone interior of course!

Regarding Coopers and two-tone, the apprentices at my local garage were, years ago, given a 1964 Cooper S to rebuild. The end result was imho stunning. Finished in Maroon B with a Cumulus Grey roof (the whole lot then getting a couple coats of clear metallic lacquer), pale grey Webasto folding sun-roof and pale grey leather interior with black piping. Standard pressed steel Cooper wheels in Old English White with those tiny Cooper hubcaps to finish it off.
1956 4-door called Max
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

palacebear wrote:Each to their own I guess. I'm definitely not a fan of the two-tone look on a Minor, unless it's just an original two-tone interior of course!

Regarding Coopers and two-tone, the apprentices at my local garage were, years ago, given a 1964 Cooper S to rebuild. The end result was imho stunning. Finished in Maroon B with a Cumulus Grey roof (the whole lot then getting a couple coats of clear metallic lacquer), pale grey Webasto folding sun-roof and pale grey leather interior with black piping. Standard pressed steel Cooper wheels in Old English White with those tiny Cooper hubcaps to finish it off.
Wow!

I had a dented 1275 S on 5.5 Js.

Looked rough but it went round corners like it was on rails.
Brian