Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wedding car hire

Post by Andy »

A couple down the road from me have asked if I would drive them on their wedding day. They wanted to know how much it would cost. I have no idea really. Can anyone out there suggest a reasonable price? It'll e from about 1PM to 5PM and I'll have to drive them about 30 miles.

Thanks for reading,

Andy
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Re: Wedding car hire

Post by chickenjohn »

Hi Andy,

consdiering you'll be washing and waxing the car and vacuuming the interior all day before then for that amount of driving, somewhere between £150 and £200 is reasonable. That is very cheap for a wedding car, I charge £180 for my convertible for weddings.

Oh, and don't forget you'll need wedding cover for the happy day and ribbons. RH insurance do wedding cover if you already have your car insured with them for £10 for the day.

cheers

John
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Matt Tomkins
Minor Addict
Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Bucks or Oxford during term time

Post by Matt Tomkins »

If you're not worried about making money, ask them to make a charity donation of a similar amout and then there's no insurance 'hire/reward' issue

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46862234@N ... 671969048/
http://www.facebook.com/matttomkins

Misty, Morris Minor 2-door, 1970,
fully restored with the help of various of the young members to whom i am forever grateful. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43571
Also Mavis, 1960 Factory Tourer, and a '69 Traveller project: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53487

Join the young owners at: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... [sig]11392[/sig]
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Matt, it's only £10 from RH for wedding insurance for the day so It's not an issue!
santadawes
Minor Addict

Post by santadawes »

I am with Matt on this one. I am doing a favour for someone. I have told them to pay the petrol for me Aprox £10 and put a donation into an envelope thats between them and the charity of my choice (BHF). I normally wash and polish the car and enjoing driving my Morris.

Although money is offered. It's a special day for the couple. Cost of weddings are getting higher and higher. I will be father of the bride next year and would love somebody to help my daughter.

Help someone and everybody happy.

My insurance allows me to do 3 weddings per year but not for personal gain.

Raymond.

autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

A few more random "doing weddings" tips:

As well as cleaning the car, de-clutter it. No drink cans, rags, cassette tapes, spare bulbs or the other junk you normally leave in the car. This includes the boot - it's surprising how often you're asked to carry anything from the wedding cake to boxes of confetti. I have an embargo on mechanical or electrical work for a few days before each wedding (except emergencies, of course). Last-minute jobs, against the clock, go wrong.

Don't forget you're an actor when you're driving for a wedding - so you have to dress and act your chosen role. Suit, white shirt, plain tie, polished shoes - that sort of thing. Keep your wits about you all the time - someone may be taking your photo, so no picking your nose or scratching your bum. Think in advance how you're going to get people into the car, then be prepared to guide and advise, as well as opening and closing doors. I always ask passengers to stay in their seats till I let them out - if you don't, they'll be out the moment the car stops, and you'll have a cross photographer. Even having asked, I've had a bride open the (rear hinged!) door before the car had stopped.

I try to make sure I never reverse the car with passengers in it, or while guests are milling around, so I always do a recce run a few days beforehand. Sometimes it's worth slight detours to make sure you're able to park in the best place, particularly if you're doing a bridesmaids trip before the main one. Avoid these extra trips if possible - bridesmaids are often very decorative, but otherwise a waste of space, and usually late getting ready.

Think in advance what you'll do if things go wrong: make sure you have contact phone numbers for the bridal party, your breakdown provider, and some wedding or taxi firms in your phone.

Weddings are very nerve-wracking, but can be very rewarding as it's quite a privilege to play a part in the biggest day of two people's lives. And the money helps - I wouldn't run my car if it didn't pay its way. Some weddings, though, are thoroughly miserable affairs: warring families, bridezillas, loutish grooms and their mates, but most are great fun, and it's a wonderful feeling driving home after doing a really successful one.

Kevin
(first wedding of the season on Saturday)
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Very stressful job I think, only done two for friends, on the second occassion the old girl did not want to start when leaving the church, third attempt and away to go with cheers, clapping and very relieved driver (me).[frame]Image[/frame]

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

chickenjohn wrote:Matt, it's only £10 from RH for wedding insurance for the day so It's not an issue!
not very often John and I agree but..pay the £10 insurance and then there can not be an issue. If you do have a bump or something else goes wrong on the day and you need to make a claim, your insurance company can not question anything about what you were doing.
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

One point to bear in mind when you're renewing your insurance: if there's any chance you'll want occasional wedding cover, ask whether your insurer offers it. Ifound several classic insurers who didn't, or wanted daft amounts of money. Last year I had unlimited wedding cover on one car, which added, iirc, about £80 to the annual premium, and "per occasion" cover on another one. Good job, too: I got no bookings for that car. This was with RH.

Kevin
lilyallen2012

Post by lilyallen2012 »

not very often you get lucky and have a brand BMW 1 series for a hire car as a young 23 years girl who just is married and went for the honeymoon with her husband after the marriage Central London and North West London, we use HBC car rental service, Appalling customer service from them to make my trip memorable. Cheers all.

this was mine last year
zishancolin

Post by zishancolin »

I think you should search online. There are many wedding car rental companies, which offers best deals.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

Little late replying. The original question was posted 6 years ago. They've probably tied the knot and added a ball and chain by now :lol:
1956 4-door called Max