Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bukoba6466
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

BMC Main Agents

Post by Bukoba6466 »

According to the BMIHT certificate I have recently acquired for my Morris Traveller, it was sent to a BMC Glasgow agent, A and D Fraser, in November, 1965. I realise that this business probably no longer exists, but does anyone have any information about it when it was operating and what became of it ? It would be interesting to know whether it was bought by another business which still does exist in Glasgow.
SteveS
MMOC Member: No

Re: BMC Main Agents

Post by SteveS »

Well, i served my time as an apprentice partsman with a+d fraser in springkell avenue 1970-1976. Was bmc then.....then blmc.. then bl.. then rover.. then..offski.Appleyard took over around 73 i think.Last time i passed that way was a kinda mini industrial estate thing..We dealt with peter holmes motors in Dunbarton road. Carlaws in Finniestoun street....Arnold Clark in Vinicombe street.taggarts motherwell and Gibbons.. crow road..they were rover dealers as such then..WHERE ARE THEY NOW???..Apart from wee arnold...
Typed A & D Fraser bmc agents Glasgow
Into google
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

You can apply for the full history of your car with the DVLA and they give you a list of all the previous keepers, it costs £5, something else I need to get round to doing.
My Traveller still has its original reg no and is an Oxford area reg no, I'm hoping it may have been a factory car from Cowley. It would be cool if I had Reg Jobs old smoker - Alec Issigonis was at Austin in 1961 designing the 1100 / 1300.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Bukoba6466 wrote:According to the BMIHT certificate I have recently acquired for my Morris Traveller, it was sent to a BMC Glasgow agent, A and D Fraser, in November, 1965. I realise that this business probably no longer exists, but does anyone have any information about it when it was operating and what became of it ? It would be interesting to know whether it was bought by another business which still does exist in Glasgow.
According to my 1960 BMC Gazeteer, A & D Fraser Ltd were located at 63 Springkell Avenue, Maxwell Park, GLASGOW. They also had a service depot - Morriserve at 39-49 Bothwell Street, Glasgow C3.

This link takes you to 69 Springkell Ave https://www.google.com/maps/@55.8367576 ... 56!6m1!1e1 looks like a clothing factory now sits where the dealers used to. ;-)

Bukoba6466
Minor Friendly

Post by Bukoba6466 »

many thanks for your interesting and helpful reply which is appreciated,
Gillian
The Scotmoose
Minor Friendly

Post by The Scotmoose »

A&D Fraser - Now there is a blast from the past. I remember, when I was a youngster in my early teens, they had a garage in Portland Street in Kilmarnock (approx 21 miles south of Glasgow). Old fashioned style of garage, which like most of the old garages of the area are now long gone and sadly missed.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

I have this interesting little booklet; the closest that I can come to dating it is the UK atlas at the rear which is dated 1960.
If anyone would like details of their original providing agent, feel free to contact me and I will look it up.
IMG_20230907_091902942_MFNR.jpg
IMG_20230907_091902942_MFNR.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 541 times
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.