Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Dizzy confusion

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've always intended to fit an Accuspark or similar new electronic 45D4 dizzy when I install my rebuilt engine, but was tempted by this NOS 25D4 points unit on Ebay, on the grounds that it will be more solidly constructed than the cheap imports generally available.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Lucas-25d ... 0033.m2042

However, once I started educating myself on the specifications for advance curves I found that there is a wide variation between 25D models and this one (41262F) doesn't look particularly close to the curves for my engine, which is a Midget 1275 CE. I assume that I need a 25D or 45D designed for this engine. Do the Accuspark units come with advance curves matched to the engines, or are they generic? Would I be better getting a rebuilt dizzy set up for my engine by Distributor Doctor, or would this be over the top for a moderately driven daily driver?

Mark
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Dizzy confusion

Post by liammonty »

I'm glad somebody else has actually considered this as well as me - I would be amazed if the Accuspark etc. types have the range of different curves available for different engines as the originals did - I can't see that they would be able to produce them so cheaply if there were so many different iterations. Also, as some will tell you, due to the difference in today's fuels compared with the fuels of the 50s and 60s, even the 'correct' advance curves may be a little way off now.

I would be inclined to get one re-curved by Martin Jay (the Distributor Doctor) to suit - he did this for me when I rebuild and modified my engine, and it's been great. I personally would avoid a cheap electronic dizzy, as like you say, there's no way of knowing what the advance curve actually is, and they are (in my experience) prone to being unreliable. A lot of people say how their car runs better, does an extra 10 mpg, starts better, sounds better etc. after they've fitted electronic ignition, but I think this is (in the nicest possible way) tosh, and just indicates that the previous dizzy and/or its components were worn or not set up well. My car always starts instantly and runs beautifully with its 25d with points etc. The only hardship is that I have to gap the points from time to time. The only caveat if you do remain with the standard set up is that you should make sure you have good quality points, condenser etc., as there is some rubbish out there.

Finally, again personally, I would stick with the 25d - Roy for one always said that the 45d was far superior, but never substantiated the claim! I've used both, and personally prefer the points set up in the 25d, which I've always found easier to adjust than the 45d. The 45d also looks very different - not a problem for many, but it is if you like originality.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

The 41262F is apparently for a low compression 1098cc - the high compression ones had 41269F, so it wouldn't be particularly suitable for a 1275cc.

I fitted a 'universal' 45D dizzy to my 1275cc Midget engine while I rebuilt the original 25D4 one, and noticed that although it ran reasonably well and certainly reliably, it felt a bit 'flat' when accelerating - obviously, the advance curve wasn't quite right. Normal performance restored once I'd refitted the original dizzy, along with Accuspark. :)
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

My Traveller ran beautifully and very reliably with an Accuspark 45D. As does my Series 111 Land-rover. Very simple to fit and forget...apart from the usual lubrication etc.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

When ordering from Powerspark you have to choose which car it's going on so I presume the advance curve is set to the car it's ordered for. Having said that lets hope the modern fuel burning characteristics have been taken into account as it's a modern replacement.

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks all. I'm trying to get hold of a 25D from a Midget, overhaul it to the best of my ability and fit an Accuspark unit to it.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

to be honest the accuspark system is fine for a 1098 or 1275 ive had no problems in years
[sig]5641[/sig]