Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndrewT
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Timing chain

Post by AndrewT »

Looking to convert my chain to the mini type with a tensioner will I be ok to fit the mini timing chain cover even although it has the canister breather on the front?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Timing chain

Post by philthehill »

The timing chain cover with the canister on the front will fit but clearance between fan and canister is tight.
You can add to the clearance by fitting a spacer between the fan and pulley. They can be obtained in a couple of thicknesses.
http://www.minispares.com/search/classi ... pacer.aspx
The timing chain cover in the link below is suitable for fan clearance:-
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... sic/timing chain cover.aspx|Back to search

AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

The cover in your link is the same as I got by the looks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 1851 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The timing chin cover in my link above (Pt No: LJR10168) has the flattened front face to the separator canister so giving additional clearance.
The timing chain cover in your photo is Pt No: CAM4868 with the round canister and is the type fitted to the Marina etc.
The timing chain cover can be used with the duplex set up and tensioner but the concave dimple and timing sensor mounting bracket has to be removed before fitting as per the photo below.
Attachments
100_2411.JPG
100_2411.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1836 times

AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

Ah I see so knock the dimple out from inside and remove the sensor part from the outside and that's it?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

That's it - but you must check the clearance between the oil deflector ring (fitted to the inside of the timing cover and is around the canister opening) and the timing gear when using the duplex chain.

AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

I got you if that's a touching or Abit to close do you have any tips for increasing the gap between or is it just a case of trimming with say a air hand belt sander or something to that effect
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have seen the clearance between the oil deflector and the timing gear increased by bending/flattening back the deflector to it being reduced is depth by grinding.
No doubt you will work something out but what ever you do make sure that you plug the hole into the breather canister so as to stop any filings/metal/crud getting into the canister and later falling back into the engine and doing damage.
Make sure that you clean out the filter/gauze inside the separator canister to ensure that there is adequate air flow through the gauze.
The gauze can become clogged and moisture trapped can reduce the gauze to a solid mass.
Below is the remains of a gauze I removed from a canister - not a pretty sight.
The pieces of wire are the remains of the spring clips that hold the gauze in place.
If the gauze is bad clean it all out and fill the void with one or more stainless pan scrubs.
Attachments
100_2412.JPG
100_2412.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 1793 times

AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

This any better phill?
Attachments
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1734 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done.
Removing the timing sensor dimple and bracket allows the use of a duplex chain.
But do not forget to check the clearance between the oil deflector and the camshaft timing gear and adjust as necessary.
Phil

AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

Will do! Thinking more to just trim the deflector rather than bending it so it still has a use of some sort