Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markattard
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

fuel pump ticking but no fuel out

Post by markattard »

Today I started (after a good 5 years a fossil) this beauty in the Making! My dads car we own for 45 years! However the fuel pump is ticking but no fuel out in the carb any ideas whats wrong please? could it be the membrane?

thanks
Attachments
morris dad.jpg
morris dad.jpg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: fuel pump ticking but no fuel out

Post by firedrake1942 »

Is there any fuel in the tank ? If so and sufficient amount then a likely blockage between the tank and the pump. Take the fuel cap off to ensure no vacuum.

Possibly the diaphragm in the pump is perished? Check the fuel pump filter is not blocked by debris. Is the outlet pipe to the carb blocked? Test by disconnecting.

You can check the pump is working but putting the inlet pipe in a bottle of fuel, taking all necessary precautions.
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

thanks!! the pump is pumping air so maybe diaphragm is intact, i'll put some more fuel in tank and maybe use a compressor through the pipes to ensure no blockages. Should i prime the feeder pipe would it help?
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

The SU pump shouldn't need priming. When I had this problem it turned out to be a tiny pinhole of rust in the steel pipe under the car so the pump was drawing air.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Its possible that after all this time the fuel pickup in the tank has become blocked by rust swirling around, or gum from evaporated fuel, or the pickup might have fallen off inside the tank. Remove the fuel cap, disconnect the inlet at the pump and then try using an airline to blow back down the fuel pipe to clear blockages. With 1 gallon of petrol in the tank you should be able to hear the air bubbling through the fuel. If you can undo the drain plug on the tank without damaging the tank then flushing the tank out would be a good idea. You can use easing/penetrating fluid on the drain plug but do NOT use heat :o
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

found out that fuel feed pump from the tank is blocked, tried with compressed air and no success :/ any ideas on how to unblock without replacing the pipe , for now?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

if compressed air isn't shifting it, i would replace the fuel pipe. As others have said, drain and flush the tank and replace any perished rubber type components.

The new pipe is only £21 (ex vat) from CW and no doubt similar price from ESM etc. It has all connectors attached so a fairly easy job.

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/26 ... nk-to-pump

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel-s ... mp-p830609