Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
john newton
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

marina kingpin savers?.i

Post by john newton »

i have never come across them,were they any good,would it be worthwhile re.mfg for morris mino use.re john
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: marina kingpin savers?.i

Post by IaininTenbury »

Are you referring to the Walford trunnions which were available for Marinas? May still be available, not sure. I've just got a pair of old stock ones for my Marina pickup.
General idea is to clean and degrease lower thread on suspension leg. Screw on the adaptor sleeve with thread lock as tight as poss. Then the external thread on the sleeve screws into the new very much larger trunnion which is then greased as normal. Advantages being its a new thread and trunnion, and its a much larger thread area so future wear will be less...
However the Marina swivel pin thtead axis is much further outboard from the pivot pin so there's space for the bigger trunnion which I doubt there will be on the Minor.
If it were poss I'd guess it would have been done by now given supply issues over the last few years of new suspension legs.
Happy to be proved wrong though...☺
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Morris Marina/Ital bottom swivel threads are of a much bigger diameter than the Minor bottom swivel threads so they are not interchangeable.
The top pivot point of the Marina/Ital swivel is totally different to the Minor (more like the Mini top steering/suspension joint) and is not suitable for use on a Minor.
The only parts of a Marina/Ital bottom trunnion that are suitable for use on a Minor are the trunnion pin, trunnion pin nuts and spring washers, the two trunnion thrust washers and the rubber seals that fit over the trunnion and trunnion thrust washer. The two trunnion bushes can be used but need to be pressed out of the Marina/Ital bottom trunnion and pressed into the Minor bottom trunnion.
The Marina/Ital bottom trunnion pins are of a better quality than those fitted to the Minor.
I have never seen or heard of any Walford trunnions being made for the Minor swivel and those manufactured for the Marina/Ital are not suitable for fitting to the Minor.
Below is a picture of the Marina/Ital Walford Trunnions:-
Attachments
Walford TrunnionsMarina.jpg
Walford TrunnionsMarina.jpg (54.88 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

john newton
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by john newton »

thank you,that is fascinating and i think it would be a better bet for replacment than a full pin iff poss.re john
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

When the Minor was in production and for time afterwards there would have been no need for Walford trunnions suitable for the Minor as the remedy for worn Minor swivels was to fit under size trunnions.
The swivels were cut under size by 0.015" by using dies Pt No: !8G305A and die holder Pt No: 18G305.
The under cutting of the Minor swivel seems to have fallen out of favour which may be because the dies and die holder are no longer available and/or the undersize swivels are no longer available.
Undersize swivels were painted bright orange to aid identification.
The occasional undersize trunnion comes up for sale on 'e' bay but I have never seen the dies or die holder for sale.
For full details of the undersize trunnions see BMC wksp man Section K16.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... Sw7W5XNwxv