Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New MOT rules.

Post by geoberni »

The guy I brought Basil from last the summer was a Bus Driver, but knows diddly squat about mechanics and the ilk as he freely admitted; hence why I'm finding so many silly things wrong with it as I work on it.
Everything that was done to the car was done for him by someone else and a lot of it hasn't been to a good standard. OK, but not Good.
I on the other hand am relishing doing what I can, before old age and arthritis eventually stop me doing so!!!

I've let Basil's MOT expire and I'll see how I get on once the nicer weather arrives, but currently I don't intend to have one every year.
Basil the 1955 series II

Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New MOT rules.

Post by Blaketon »

That's one reason why I am not a frequent changer of cars. Once you know a car to be good, I say stick with it. These days, it's hard to find the kinds of cars I like, that haven't had work done. The MGB GT V8 came to us 33 years ago, with 32000 on the clock, my Midget (Which wasn't really a classic car at the time) with 43000, my mother's BGT with 33000 (In 2003!!), whilst my father's Midget was unknown and I think my Traveller had been round the clock. The latter two both had more things come out of the woodwork with time and both had had restoration work done. In the case of my father's Midget, new rear wings had been fitted, apparently well but the boot floor extensions (Which usually go first) had been bodged and covered up. It was an insane thing to do, as Midget boot floor extensions cost very little and are easy to replace, once the wing is removed (You can do it by removing the lower bit of the wing but it's more of a fiddle). You wouldn't think anyone could be so daft, as to not replace them whilst they have the wings off.