By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chappers
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Newby saying Hi

Post by Chappers »

Hi there,
Just thought I would introduce myself.
The very first car I ever drove was a Morris Minor 1000 back in 1974/5 when I was about 15 years old.
It was a Dove Grey Driving instructors car, and we took turns driving it around the school playground (it was part of a course over a period of several weeks on how cars work etc).
Although I didn't hit the school Dustbins (someone did!), I found I drove it better in reverse than forwards!

Although the first car actually owned was a few years later when I bought a Mark 1 Ford Cortina off my workshop Foreman (for £30!), I always had a soft spot for the Moggies.
Wind the clock forwards about 40 plus years, and I have taken the plunge and bought one (after wearing my wife down and convincing her its a good idea - and fun- to buy a classic).
We purchased "Maisie" in October last year, and what with the weather etc, had to keep her undercover on the drive until I could empty the garage, and she moved into her new home a few weeks later.
She's a 1965 4 door in Smoke Grey, and has a Webasto sunroof fitted (we think) from new.
I bought a Heritage certificate, and she was first registered on 1st April 1965 at Caffyns of Tonbridge Kent. The Sunroof was fitted by Caffyns Coachworks of Folkestone, so it was probably a customer order.
Someone on here may recognise her as she has a club sticker on the windscreen?

To play a bit safe, we bought her from a classic car dealer and she has had a photographic restoration and a fair bit of history.
Modifications include front disc brakes (not sure what kit yet), rear shock absorbers and an alternator conversion.

I am spending lots of time "fiddling " in the garage with her and have got her running very sweet (I am an engineer and love to fiddle).
My wife Jane really loves the car, and although she doesn't drive, always asks when we are taking Maisie out again.

Looking forward to the better weather as we plan to do some shows and meet ups etc.
If anyone recognises the car please let me know as any further history would be most welcome
Mark (and Jane) from Hove Sussex
IMG_1901.jpg
IMG_1901.jpg (5.66 MiB) Viewed 665 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Newby saying Hi

Post by myoldjalopy »

Welcome! It looks a nice car.
The first car I ever drove was my parent's 1957 4-door saloon. I too was 14 or 15 back in the early '70's and I somehow found myself in a grassy car park above Sennen Cove beach with my brother...and the ignition keys! I managed to drive the car round in circles for a bit before my parents returned! :lol:
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Welcome to the forum. What a good-looking car Maisie is! Sunroof is a great extra feature!

You're fortunate that your wife is eager to go out in Maisie. My soon-to-be better half won't go anywhere Max without the benefit of a general anesthetic!! :D
1956 4-door called Max
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Hello there.

Nice car.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.