Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tonywalls
MMOC Member: No

car history

Post by tonywalls »

Hi could anyone please advic e

me how to obtain the history of my minor reg Xyc 187 which is being restored at present
Thanks
Tony
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Re: car history

Post by POMMReg »

Taunton regn.

Gaydon supply build records, but not always the dealer.
V55(?) from dvla for list of previous keepers

Somerset RO for MVL records.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Yeti
Minor Friendly

Post by Yeti »

Dvla no longer give out any info on previous owners, due to Data protection act. I tried every which way to find an old minor I previously owned. He said we are the civil service and not an information bureau. So I told him he wasn’t providing a good service and he was not being very civil, to which he put the phone down. Good luck finding out about yours. If you do get any joy, maybe you could enquire about mine too (NPF 726D Rose Taupe 2 Door). Any help greatfully received.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

I think that now the DVLA are unable to provide previous ownership/history information, the chances of finding a vehicle's full history will get more and more remote.
As Chris (pommreg) states, the vehicle's original build history can be obtained from the BMIHT at a cost but this will only take you as far as the date the car was delivered to the initial supplying dealer, if you are lucky. The history trail may easily end with the date the car was dispatched from the factory.
Some licencing authorities retain vehicle registration archives from decades past; some don't. In any case, they'll almost certainly be bound by the same data protection mandate that now prevents the DVLA from releasing the information.
It's looking more and more likely that anyone seeking the history of a car will have to rely on any old documentation accompanying the car, and/or the luck of finding someone who knows it from years past.
I've been partially lucky with the history of my 1956 Minor, with which I acquired a rag-bag of paperwork. I have the names of three of its six previous owners. I know the month and year of each change of ownership, and it's movement between towns with each change. I've also been able to work out (to the nearest 1000 miles) it's mileage at each change of ownership.
1956 4-door called Max