Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: POSTING A PHOTO

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

I’m no expert, I use a laptop running windows 7 that comes with Windows Live Photo Gallery which I use to open my photos. It gives the option to resize and save photos, this keeps the original untouched and saves the resized version with the size marked in brackets. Choose Small or Smaller. I use the small option which will add (800x600) to the file/photo name.
As I said im no expert and can’t explain the procedure so have included some screen shots to show what your looking for.
Some cameras give the option to save the photos in small enough size, my old canon used to and my other halfs Olympus does but my Lumix dosen’t.
Hope this might be of some help
Regards John
Screen shot1.jpg
Screen shot1.jpg (203.73 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Screen shot2.jpg
Screen shot2.jpg (187.84 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by BrianHawley »

Admin wrote:There's another good example of waste - my large sig file is displaying after every other post on this page, when really we only need any of our sig files once per page. That's something I'll change when the opportunity arises, and everyone's file will only show for the first time they post on each page. It's not 'lost', it's just better use of resources.
Mike, with the greatest respect and I realise you are a volunteer doing what can be an onerous job, I don’t think displaying a picture in every sig wastes resources. On most browsers the picture only downloads once. If it’s displayed again on the same page, the browser just uses the same copy from local memory.

Personally I like to see a pic in every sig as it’s easier to see who’s “speaking” . Please don’t remove them.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

StillGotMy1stCar wrote:I’m no expert, I use a laptop running windows 7 that comes with Windows Live Photo Gallery which I use to open my photos. It gives the option to resize and save photos, this keeps the original untouched and saves the resized version with the size marked in brackets. Choose Small or Smaller. I use the small option which will add (800x600) to the file/photo name.
As I said im no expert and can’t explain the procedure so have included some screen shots to show what your looking for.
Some cameras give the option to save the photos in small enough size, my old canon used to and my other halfs Olympus does but my Lumix dosen’t.
Hope this might be of some help
Regards John
Screen shot1.jpg

Screen shot2.jpg
Funny, I'd only recently been thinking about suggesting Photo Gallery, but then Les told us he had an iPad, which threw all my Windows suggestions out the window! It never occurred to me to ask if he had an Apple device :oops:
BrianHawley wrote:
Admin wrote:There's another good example of waste - my large sig file is displaying after every other post on this page, when really we only need any of our sig files once per page. That's something I'll change when the opportunity arises, and everyone's file will only show for the first time they post on each page. It's not 'lost', it's just better use of resources.
Mike, with the greatest respect and I realise you are a volunteer doing what can be an onerous job, I don’t think displaying a picture in every sig wastes resources. On most browsers the picture only downloads once. If it’s displayed again on the same page, the browser just uses the same copy from local memory.

Personally I like to see a pic in every sig as it’s easier to see who’s “speaking” . Please don’t remove them.
Okay, no worries. As you've said, the overhead is marginal, I just thought it made the page a bit 'long', but if you guys prefer to have the sig each time I'll leave it. Thanks also for the suggestion by PM - an image upload facility that resized as it went would be a great solution - I'll follow that up when I get the chance :D
Budgie wrote:I just remember a time not long ago when this site was a pleasure to log into.... ah well all good things as the saying goes. :(
I'm thinking of another saying, Budgie. It starts "you can please all of the people...". If that's how you reply to offers of help, you're probably right in thinking you'll never see your pic online, as I'll be damned if I'll offer to help you again :)
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

Come on guys this is starting to get out of hand. I know what its like to be on a committee running a car club. I have been on the committee for the Austin Seven owners club for 40 years and I have been on the receiving end of club members who criticise but never volunteer to help in the running of the club. Just be thankful that there are still people willing to give up their time to run the club.
[img]jpg[/img]
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

burnham28 wrote:Come on guys this is starting to get out of hand. I know what its like to be on a committee running a car club. I have been on the committee for the Austin Seven owners club for 40 years and I have been on the receiving end of club members who criticise but never volunteer to help in the running of the club. Just be thankful that there are still people willing to give up their time to run the club.
I don't think anyone can deny the fact the work involved in volunteering your time and effort into helping out as I've had my fair share on various committees as a local town councillor and yes that's a thankless task as I never got paid and took some flak in my time .It's just whether it's IT orientated or mechanical, people seem to take it for granted that what they see as simple can be very bewildering to others. As I mentioned previously I use a pc for my professional work Monday to Friday, but beyond what I use it for at work I'm still a novice and only use my pc at home to do the most{ in my terms} the most simplest of things. I can send emails , post comments on here , buy things from the web be in Ebay or private companies direct, but to go "off the beaten track " as I like to call it , stumps me and although I would get there in the end, it takes me for ever and a day and if I'm not doing that particular input frequently then it simply gets lost in my mind . As an engineer by trade anything mechanical is simple to me, my mate however is an IT geek by his own admission and he would not know one end of a spanner from the other. This is a very informative forum , please just think of those who , like me don't know it all but are very trying! :D

P.S. the mechanical explanations from various members on this forum are very simple and straight forward in my humble experience and are priceless too. :D
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Budgie wrote:
burnham28 wrote:Come on guys this is starting to get out of hand. I know what its like to be on a committee running a car club. I have been on the committee for the Austin Seven owners club for 40 years and I have been on the receiving end of club members who criticise but never volunteer to help in the running of the club. Just be thankful that there are still people willing to give up their time to run the club.
I don't think anyone can deny the fact the work involved in volunteering your time and effort into helping out as I've had my fair share on various committees as a local town councillor and yes that's a thankless task as I never got paid and took some flak in my time .It's just whether it's IT orientated or mechanical, people seem to take it for granted that what they see as simple can be very bewildering to others. As I mentioned previously I use a pc for my professional work Monday to Friday, but beyond what I use it for at work I'm still a novice and only use my pc at home to do the most{ in my terms} the most simplest of things. I can send emails , post comments on here , buy things from the web be in Ebay or private companies direct, but to go "off the beaten track " as I like to call it , stumps me and although I would get there in the end, it takes me for ever and a day and if I'm not doing that particular input frequently then it simply gets lost in my mind . As an engineer by trade anything mechanical is simple to me, my mate however is an IT geek by his own admission and he would not know one end of a spanner from the other. This is a very informative forum , please just think of those who , like me don't know it all but are very trying! :D

P.S. the mechanical explanations from various members on this forum are very simple and straight forward in my humble experience and are priceless too. :D
Could not have put it better!

Hear hear.

There are no bad guys here. Most give of their expertise freely, whether mechanical or in IT, and we all get cross from time to time with computers, cars and occasionally each other. Such is life.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

BrianHawley wrote:
Could not have put it better!

Hear hear.

There are no bad guys here. Most give of their expertise freely, whether mechanical or in IT, and we all get cross from time to time with computers, cars and occasionally each other. Such is life.
Thank you Brian. Frustrations with crippling levels of inertia in our decision processes got the better of me. I apologise for my terseness
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster