Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
plg422d
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

LED Lamps

Post by plg422d »

Has anyone fitted LED lamps to their Minor? If so which lamps did you replace and where did you get them from?
Also how effective are they?

Thanks
minijojo
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: LED Lamps

Post by minijojo »

depends on what you are planning to replace and if your car is positiv or negativ earth wired.
There are nearly all types available.
I ordered directly from china. There is a sellers platform called aliexpress. Don´t buy everything there…., but i got no difficulties with the LED bulbs. I chatted with the seller before placing order and they told me, all items are available in positive or negativ earth. They mostly did not understand this wording so better say „reverse polarity“ if you like to get positiv earth led bulbs. Shipment is between 2 and 4 weeks to Germany (goes it would be similar to UK) I was told to leave reverse polarity as a comment in the order. But discuss this with the seller before ordering.
I personally only want to replace the speedo- and instrument bulbs first. and prefer the daylight leds.
There are several sellers on the western international selling platform. The set offered for the minor speedo does not fit because the bulbs are to large and they are mostly much more expensive.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Changed the brake/tail lamps. Very bright but quite tight angle that they spray the light. Like any technology, if you don't understand it you can get caught out so read up on the subject before you go down that route. Plenty of opinions out there on the internet but may be based on bias rather than experience.
On brakes etc, must be fitted in pairs or the LED won't light up and then they'll just get hot. Flashing trafficator bulbs are a great idea. They work perfectly well.
Headlamp bulbs MAY breach the legal side of things but I'm not 100% certain. Very popular on Austin Sevens.
Cardiff, UK
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

I replaced all the speedo bulbs and also other gauges with 'warm white MES LED' bulbs from this eBay seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-WARM-WHIT ... Sw9N1Vkv3x

They arrived very quickly and one was faulty which he replaced instantly, so good service as well. No problems in use.

He does do other quantities other than the pack of 10.

Very pleased with the effect - not 'cool' white that does not suit a 1958 Minor (IMHO), but more in effect a brighter version of the original bulb. The only problem is that with an alternator fitted, the LED 'Ignition Warning Light' does not provide enough 'sensing' on initial start up and needs a few revs to get the charging to kick in - once in then it is fine.

We have 35/5W halogen stop/tail lights to get brighter rear lights (+ a relay for the stop lights) and whilst at the Beaulieu Autojumble yesterday was looking for a spare halogen bulb, as one of the tail filaments had blown, when we came across a stall selling a wide range of LED bulbs for vehicle applications.

The stop/tail lights were a red LED, with the argument being that a red source would transmit more red light through the red rear lenses. He demonstrated this with a sample red lens and a white and red LED - noticeably brighter with the red LED. So bought 2 red LED stop/tail bulbs that I have fitted this morning. The brightness is very similar to the halogen, but a 'instant' brake light, rather than the rise time delay with 'ordinary' bulbs. Even if this is only 100ms, it means that the LED comes on ~3m earlier at 60mph than an ordinary bulb, and rise times are usually more than 100ms. That 3m additional warning to following vehicles could be all the difference between a hit and a miss.

Removing the second halogen bulb showed significant silvering, so looks like the time to change was good!

Now the ammeter hardly flickers when applying the brakes, instead of a 6A discharge after the initial inrush surge of at least double that.
Richard

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

My old Landy came with all led lights. All fine apart from the headlights,which were useless.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Cardiff, UK
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

I have installed these. Click on 'see demo HERE' under flashicators.
Bob
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... -bulbs.php
Last edited by BLOWNMM on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
ferret76
Minor Fan
Location: MMOC Tropical Research Division Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia

Post by ferret76 »

I installed pos earth indicators and stop/tail from these guys:

http://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk

Vast improvement in brightness.
colin addison
Minor Fan

Post by colin addison »

I have just fitted LED light boards to my rear MM lights which are L471s. These are a small board with lots of LEDs on them, that fit within the glass lens, flat and not directional. The main reason for doing this is to reduce the load through the brake switch, having had one fail recently, and being advised the new ones are cr... The lights are much brighter, and as a brake light are very good. Boards supplied by dynamoregulatorconversions.com.
Colin