Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
quee2646
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Headlamps not working

Post by quee2646 »

Now the nights are drawing in, I might actually need these... Both my headlamps don't work. Assuming both bulbs haven't blown together, can anybody help me through the maze of wire?

The Haynes manual doesn't seem to me particular helpful.

Not sure if it's relevant, but see the attached picture.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Headlamps not working

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, assuming both bulbs are OK (which you can test for by removing the bulbs and connecting them to a battery), then it is possible that both have poor earths. Or there is a break or short circuit in the wiring somewhere to the lights. Sometimes a break in the circuit is due to dirty/corroded bullet connectors. The poor connection may be in the fusebox between A1 and A2, but if so, the horn wouldn't work either. It could be a fault/poor connection in the lighting switch or dipswitch but my bet is on a poor connection somewhere. Do the other lamps work or not (e.g. rear lights, numberplate light? The answer to this question may help you refine your search in the wiring circuit. You can go through the circuit with a test bulb or voltmeter.
quee2646
Minor Friendly

Post by quee2646 »

All other lights and horn work as they should. I'll attempt to go through the circuit with a voltmeter.
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by BLOWNMM »

Firstly the headlamps are not fed from the A1-A2 fuse The headlamp switch is fed from the A1 terminal on the control box (voltage regulator) and is not fused. First check for volts at the A terminal of the light switch. If OK then check for volts at terminal 1 on the dipper switch. If volts are there then it is a matter of visually checking the bullet connectors from the dip switch to the bullet connetors either side at the front for corrosion by removing them and if necessary cleaning them with schotchbrite or similar and smearing with vasolene to prevent future corrosion. Then the earths need to be inspected. Although because both lights are out I would expect problems upstream. The horn and interior light are fed from fuse A1-a2.
Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If the lamps are not lit in either dip or main setting - then it's likely to be either cables pulled off at the dipswitch - or at the lights switch. Fuses are not involved as others have explained. Use the much better wiring diagram at the top of this section. Haynes is hopeless - if you want a Morris minor Workshop Manual download it FREE from Google.....
ImageImage
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

definitely agree. i had this myself, and it was the plug to the dipswitch becoming disconnected. if it hadn't been that, it would have been swirtch failure on the dashboard.