Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

MORE HELP PLEASE - ALL SORTED

Post by BIGRAB »

What started out as a straightforward non electrical job !!!!!!!

Have a 1966 2 door which had a cracked speedo glass and decided yesterday to change.

After a while managed to change over with speedo and everthing else working fine (so I thought).

Out for a spin today and then realised the headlights were not working.

Jumped the gun and pulled speedo back out thinking I'd pulled a wire out from the back of the switch.
On discovering nothing, went onto the internet and only twigged I hadn't found out if main or dip beam.
Traced to main beam and after messing about with main/dip foot switch realised the fault lies there which I sorted.

On putting speedo back in the oil pressure light would not come on (was working earlier in day).
Pulled speedo back out and light came on then went back off, changed bulb with no success.
Checked all the bulbs on ignition light and all working, tried various with zilch.
Checked for loose connections, gently wiggled wires from light holder back to the loom with no success.

Not sure but when putting speedo back in I thought I heard a crackle (short) since I'd inadvertently left ignition switch on.

Have called it quits with no oil warning light coming on.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Last edited by BIGRAB on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: HELP PLEASE

Post by oliver90owner »

thought I heard a crackle (short) since I'd inadvertently left ignition switch on.

Blown a fuse?
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Had my speedo out and found the fuel gauge didn't work when I put the speedo back. I found the earth to the speedo was poor so I made a short earth cable to fix to one of the bolts on the speedo and then bolted the other end to a good clean patch of bodywork under the dash.

BIGRAB
Minor Friendly

Post by BIGRAB »

Fuses are fine.

Funny you should mention the speedo, it died for about 30 secs then kicked in.

I'll try the earth cable.

Cheers
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly

Post by BIGRAB »

Finally managed to get in about it and put an additional earth to the lampholder itself which has cured the problem.

Thank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly

Post by BIGRAB »

Spoke to soon.

The amber light STAYS ON on all the time, the car is running fine and has oil etc.

I've limited electrical knowledge but to get the light to illuminate I ran an additional earth wire from the bulb holder earth connection (I reckon) to a nut on the back of the speedo and hey presto the light illuminates but does not go out.

I disconnected the end at the speedo nut and attached to other metal parts and just the same.

Re earlier post re check fuse, would I be right in saying a blown fuse would be affecting other things ??

Any further help appreciated.

Cheers
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MORE HELP PLEASE

Post by biomed32uk »

The ignition and oil warning lamps are not earthed via the speedo, they have two wires running into the lamp holder if you look. The oil warning lamp works by earthing via the switch, which opens when there is pressure extinguishing the light.

Remove your earths from around those bulbs, you can earth the body of speedo no problem.

Switch the ignition on, pull the wire off the oil pressure switch and short it to earth, see if the light comes on then. If it does, then more than likely the pressure switch has gone bad.

A blown fuse would affect other things, the oil pressure warning is off the green wires at the fuses, if that fuse has gone quite a lot else wont work, does the fuel gauge work?, It may be worth pulling the fuses out and cleaning the connections up.
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly

Post by BIGRAB »

Pulled the pressure switch wire off and attached to body earth, switched ignition on and light illuminated and stayed on.

Will order a new switch and hopefully this will sort it out.

Cheers
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly

Post by BIGRAB »

Pressure switch arrived this morning, fitted and hey presto all sorted.

Thanks for everyones help.