Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
HUMBLEPIE
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Indicators Up Grade

Post by HUMBLEPIE »

I have a 1962 model with the original indicator lights set up, I want to add amber indicators but keep the original set up is this possible or may be fit them on the rear as my main concern is that other motorist might not see the indicator as it is, but if I only fit them to the rear would it still pass an MOT.
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Indicators Up Grade

Post by Boomlander »

My 1953 Series II has its original trafficators and I also fitted motorcycle indicators front and rear.
It's a simple job, power from the fusebox through a standard flasher can to an indicator or trafficator switch and then to the left and right paired amber indicators. :D
Attachments
DSCF1099.JPG
DSCF1099.JPG (681.3 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 4126 times

HUMBLEPIE
Minor Friendly

Post by HUMBLEPIE »

Hi thanks for this suggestion they look neat are they wired to work off the same stalk or switch as the originals or do I need a separate switch to work them.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I assume your '62 car has small white front flashers/sidelamps, and 'flashing brake lights' at the rear?
I don't think just adding amber flashers at the rear is going to be an MOT issue. IMHO you should add them at both ends as the set-up you have really isn't very visible at night.
If you intend having ambers as well as the existing flashers you'll probably need a different flasher unit (maybe one used for trailer/caravan towing), otherwise you may find the flash rate will be wrong, or they simply won't work.
1956 4-door called Max
HUMBLEPIE
Minor Friendly

Post by HUMBLEPIE »

Hi mine is as you described by flasher unit do you mean a separate switch as I won,t be able use the indicator stalk for original indicators and the additional indicators.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Looking more closely, the set-up you have at present uses a combined flasher unit/relay. The relay basically ensures that, if indicating and braking at the same time, the appropriate brake light continues to flash.
I'm not certain how you'd wire seperate flashers into this system without giving yourself a fair bit of grief.
The easiest way, in the long run and using the existing switch, would be to completely abandon the present set up, leaving everything in place for future reinstatement if required. Then install a complete new circuit with a new 'ordinary' flasher unit and your amber lights. You should be able to power the system simply by taking the feed from the switch off the existing relay and connecting it to the new flasher unit.
I know its not what you're trying to achieve but, given the frequency with which Moggie owners experience faulty lighting issues, having a seperate system may well save you time and head-scratching in the future.
1956 4-door called Max
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I've done this on my 1962 car, though as it's a while ago, I can't remember exactly what I did with the wiring - I've attached a photo in any case! I think we have essentially by-passed the relay as suggested above for the rear lights, as I've added seperate amber indicators which are attached to the bumper mounts on brackets (see pics). The front sidelights work as per the original set up - some use later Mini headlights with an integral sidelight, then replace the sidelight bulbs with an amber bulb, and this becomes the flasher. I think that may require the larger Mini-style sidelight lens though, as per a car recently pictured in the 'seen today' thread. I've added some piccies so you can see my set up.
Attachments
IMG_3957.JPG
IMG_3957.JPG (116.19 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3956.JPG (119.3 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG (104.73 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
HUMBLEPIE
Minor Friendly

Post by HUMBLEPIE »

Thanks for your advice Palacebear, I will bear it in mind.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Mini headlamps with integral sidelights, and re-purposing the existing sidelights as indicators only is a good option for the front. For the rear, Halfords do some very neat 12-volt m/cycle indicators (neg earth LED ones) which look like they can be fitted discreetly above or below the rear bumper.

@ liammonty: Is that original Highway Yellow paint ???
If it is ... I'm extremely jealous!! :) :)
Last edited by palacebear on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1956 4-door called Max
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

The car has been resprayed but it has always been Highway Yellow. The interior paint is still the original! I love the colour, as well as the fact that men in anoraks love to tell me that there were never any yellow Minors! The car is looking a little mucky as I'm en route from Dartmoor to West Yorkshire, and it went from Dartmoor to the lakes and back a few weeks ago!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I am SOOOOO jealous. I love the colour. Shame so few made. If I see you anywhere I'll be all over the car with my camera :)
1956 4-door called Max
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

HUMBLEPIE wrote:Hi thanks for this suggestion they look neat are they wired to work off the same stalk or switch as the originals or do I need a separate switch to work them.
They operate from a second trafficator switch (lower right hand of auxiliary switch panel) :D

HUMBLEPIE
Minor Friendly

Post by HUMBLEPIE »

Thanks for the suggestions and I am going for motorbike indicator lights they look smart and they only need drilling holes in the bumpers not on the bodywork. Love the yellow moggy my moggy is in the common Dove Grey.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

No such thing as a 'common' Morris Minor they are all unique!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Discrete should not come into it - you need to be seen as preparing to turn or actually in the process of turning.
It is no good having discrete turn lights if they cannot be clearly seen. In this case big and full on should be considered beautiful.
Phil

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I have these motorcycle indicators retrofitted to my MG and they are really bright with the halogen bulbs.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
P1000817_1.jpg
P1000817_1.jpg (484.55 KiB) Viewed 3903 times

Regards
Declan
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

I have a 1960 car with original blinking brake lights, after reading this thread I became a little concerned that maybe they were not bright enough so I had my wife drive up and down our street, lights on and randomly indicating and braking (its a quiet street !) Its bright and sunny today but I had no problem seeing the light operations. I think the original setup is more than adequate if in good order .... a while ago I took the time to clean terminals/earth connections, polish the reflectors and wash the inside of the light units ... much better. Now, if we could do something about the person behind ..... far too close and on the phone ................
HUMBLEPIE
Minor Friendly

Post by HUMBLEPIE »

I like the indicators fitted to Declans MG they are the one I have gone for, my concern is some motorists will not see the set up as it is and I don't want to be proved right. :(
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi - first post as I've just this week brought my 1st Moggie, a '55 Splitie.
I've got some issues with the way the lights have been 'upgraded' over the years, but I'll be posting that separately. I need to take a photo or two first.
My thought on this topic though are not to forget that many American autos still have the Red Only, flashing brake light to give a turn signal.
If they can cope with it over there, why should it be such a problem here?
I see that shoebone is actually in Arizona, so I'm glad he found it wasn't a problem.
I lived in Nevada for 3 years (2007-10) using an old Chevy Pickup for my commute and had no problem with the lights.

Incidentally, I found this DIY job on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkQVj0Uxurc
Basil the 1955 series II