Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dockerman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

wiring loom

Post by dockerman »

Hi all
i am fitting a new wiring loom to my 1956 morris minor two door split screen and am not sure about the wires that go into the fuse box then into my two 35 amp fuses could someone please send me a photo and a wiring diagram please Thankyou
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: wiring loom

Post by geoberni »

I assume you haven't got a copy of the manual then. :(
There is a PDF download available at a certain other MMO website homepage :wink: and I assume you'll find the wiring diagrams in there, since they are in the hard copy.
I don't want to upset the Mods here by posting up a copyright circuit image; I haven't been here long enough to learn all the rules by heart. :wink:

Here's a photo of my '55 fuses etc. Basically it's a case of group the colours together.
20171022_195837A.jpg
20171022_195837A.jpg (332.74 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Ignore the 2xRed and 1xWhite that are connected with original 3xPurple; they are extras that have been installed (Hazard Lts, Radio and Aux Pwr socket) which the previous Owner had taken direct from the battery Positive. I've moved them over to the Fuse Box.
Basil the 1955 series II

dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

Thank you very much for the info :D
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

It's worth carrying spare fuses in the spaces provided on that fuse panel .
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

firedrake1942 wrote:It's worth carrying spare fuses in the spaces provided on that fuse panel .
I've got several in the travelling tool kit :wink:

I'm considering some wiring changes to provide some individual fuses for services - with my electrical background it's just so wrong to have a load of stuff on one large fuse. It's only protecting (if you can call it that) from a catastrophic failure (perhaps)!
Basil the 1955 series II

westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

Just out of interest , where did you find your new wiring loom ?
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I have heard good things about Autosparks from owners, though haven't used them myself.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I have a top-of-the-range loom from Autosparks. Very, VERY good quality. It is actually for a Srs 2/948 era car but fits well. They'll build custom add-ons for you for a few extra quid.

Next time I'd add an extra line for a high level brake light, a boot light, a bonnet area light, a cooling fan for the rad, larger diameter/capacity wires for the headlights, a hidden kill switch, indicators, a USB charger socket and a discrete flash facility for the headlamps.

The old original 1949 loom was sha99ed!
wires.jpg
wires.jpg (259.03 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Cardiff, UK
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Wish my wiring was clearly coloured like those in the pics........mine looks like your old wiring Rob! :(
westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

RobThomas wrote:I have a top-of-the-range loom from Autosparks. Very, VERY good quality. It is actually for a Srs 2/948 era car but fits well. They'll build custom add-ons for you for a few extra quid.

Next time I'd add an extra line for a high level brake light, a boot light, a bonnet area light, a cooling fan for the rad, larger diameter/capacity wires for the headlights, a hidden kill switch, indicators, a USB charger socket and a discrete flash facility for the headlamps.

The old original 1949 loom was sha99ed!

wires.jpg
Iv just checked there web site,seems like they know there stuff, they have a great range of options , il be going with them I think , thank you
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Worth taking a little time to make a plan for any add-ons. A spare green feed for a USB charger socket won't cost much but would pay dividends in the long run. Also, there won't be the additional bit of loom between the 2 sets of rear lights since that's normally an 'extra'.

I've just added some of the correct cotton braided wiring to our Lowlight to provide a discrete high power led strip of self adhesive lights around the underside of the rim of the engine bay via a 2 amp fuse. Almost like daylight in there in the dark and it makes it so much easier to see the timing marks etc. i did the same for the brake light inside the boot badge that someone else on here designed. Who was it? Genius. :D

If I were to do it all again I would buy a standard loom from Autosparks, get it home, add the bits I wanted and then send it back for the outer cover to be knitted on.
Cardiff, UK