Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

L632 front sidelight rebuild

Post by RobThomas »

I passed the MOT again but they advised the front lamps being quite faded.

The orange segment of the 1964 front lamps was almost pale yellow so I dug out some replacement lenses from the shed. There appears to be 2 types, one having pointy pegs on the outer lens and another with flat pegs. To get the orange bit out you need to find where they have added a small bit of glue to hold the orange insert into the clear lens and snap it away, carefully, with a craft knife. Some had one, some had two dabs of glue but always at the 3 and 9 o'clock position. The lens units with pointy pegs also have a slot added to keep the lens from rotating inside the clear outer so I needed to grind the corresponding lump off of the orange bit before I could exchange pieces. Once the glue was broken I could slide the orange out and then get all the accumulated dirt and grime from between the 2 pieces of the lens and to polish the aluminium insert that goes between the 2 bulbs.

The big chrome ring round the outside needs whacking down onto the table to seperate the clear lens from the chrome. A bit more polishing and I now have 2 good front lenses.

Might help someone else in the future. :D
Cardiff, UK