Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Help for fuel Pump parts

Post by Sandun »

Hi my friends

I am looking Parts from my S.U fuel pump - it part number is 4080 - so i follow SU site - There are lot of service kits - DOT know what are the different of them. an Example LP types (Per 1985 post 1985 ) and HP types ( EPK 600, 605,300,305,200) .

1. Please Advice me and tell me what are the different of them.
My fuel pumps Su , parts number 4080 - i have double points one and single point one - Not Electrical type - All are negative earth

2. Can i change the point set ( remove single point set and refit double point to it ) ?

3. what is the different of positive and negative earth pump ( not only change the positive and negative wires ) ?

4. what service kit want to buy ?

Regards
Sandun

mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Help for fuel Pump parts

Post by mogbob »

Sandum
Asssuming your car is a Morris 1000 ( Series IV ) then you need parts / repair kit for Single LP pump. Part No AUA66.
Q.1 There should be a small Aluminium tag screwed under two screws around the base of the pump, with AUA66 on it. ( sometimes this is missing , not having been replaced after an overhaul )
SU 4080 refers to a separate parts / casting number for a "bottom pump casting" on a carburetor ?.
People often confuse the individual part numbers as being the Fuel pump / carburetor Model number

Q.2 Yes you can change the points alone , from a single to a double , if you wish.

Q.3 The electrical system on Morris Minors can either be Positive ( older car system ) or Negative ( the more modern system , later Minors ).The "polarity of the electric pump must match that of the car " or it will not work. The pump is wired internally, depending whether
it is Positive or Negative. New pumps sold today are " dual Polarity " i.e they will cope with Positive and Negative cars. If in doubt you must check.

Q.4 What to buy ? You can buy most of the smaller parts individually , if you want. But.. if the pump is very old the diaphragm will be not very flexible and unable to cope with modern unleaded petrol. You would need new gaskets if you strip the pump down to clean it thoroughly, a new filter, a new set of points , etc , etc.
The cheapest option is to buy a complete repair kit rather than listing all the parts and buying separately.
The kit you would need is EPK700 ( pre 1985 ). This means the car and pump was built before 1985.

Single LP means " one pump low pressure ".Other pumps relate to HP = high pressure , and Double ,where two pumps are built end to end to deliver more fuel quickly to bigger engine cars.
Website http://www.sucarb.co.uk ( Burlen Fuels ) will show you a parts diagram of AUA66 and the repair kit parts ( so you can see what you get in the kit )
Search from Home page.
Click on "SU"
Click on SU Fuel Pumps & Spares
Click on Single LP pumps & Kits
Click on 5th item down on the list , AUA 66 for the Pump
and "last but one from the bottom " for the Repair Kit EPK 700.
On their Technical section , there is a stage by stage dis-assembly and reassembly instruction sheet.
Bob