Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ek96
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Headlight Earth

Post by ek96 »

Hi All!

I am currenlty having an issue with my headlights whereby, if I connect the wire to earth that is on the loom, and although a continuity test confirms it does indeed go to earth, the light does not come on. But if I hook up the headlight straight form the negative terminal of the battery, it works fine! So does this mean that there is resistance/insufficient current in the earth wire and, if so, what could cause this? A short somewhere? And where is the best place to start looking?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, and thanks in advance!

Edd

Edit: I have removed the bullet connector from the earth coming from the loom, and the wiring that connects to the headlight is brand new,
and it still didn't work when touched together, so it isn't an issue there.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Headlight Earth

Post by oliver90owner »

Won't be a short buthere might be an open circuit! Most likely obvious place to look is where that wire is earthed to the bodywork. Continuity does not necessarily mean very low resistance.
ek96
Minor Friendly

Post by ek96 »

Thanks for the helpful advice!

I don't suppose you know where it would be earthed to the bodywork? As it is built into the loom I'm assuming there is one primary place?
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Don't the headlights earth straight into those little clips on the inside of the engine bay, just forward of the arches?
305-1_1.jpg
305-1_1.jpg (63.19 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
I recently replaced mine as they had been painted over (by me) and then snapped (again, oops).
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Headlights should have an earth direct to the inner wing, below where the wiring loom comes in and above the seam to the lower panel. Bullet connector on the wire from the headlight into the clip so perfectly pictured above. A ring terminal and a screw or bolt is an equally good solution, but definitely not earthing through the main harness. Each headlight is earthed separately.
ek96
Minor Friendly

Post by ek96 »

Hmm then it looks as if a previous owner decided on some modifications (not uncommon, but certainly makes things interesting!

Thanks all for your help, I'll take a look when I'm next out looking at the car.

Quite relieved that I don't have to 'journey to the centre of the 'earth'.... I'll let myself out....
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

A new replacement earth http://www.morrisminorspares.com/electr ... pe-p829859 won't break the bank if you've not spent your last penny on Xmas. Other wise take off the existing clip and clean it back to bare metal again with emery paper. Scrape the paint work off , underneath where the clip was and get that back to shinny clean metal again. Install clip back again and cover with coppa ease or grease to stop rust getting a hold.
Bob
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Have you checked for problems at the switch and dip switch?
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
ek96
Minor Friendly

Post by ek96 »

Yep, I checked this and it's deifinitely not that. I know it's the earth becasue, when I fed a wire from the negative terminal to the negative wire on the headlight, they worked, on both dipped and full :)

I have ordered the brackets shown above and will let you know how I get on!