Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Boxertools
MMOC Member: No

Indicator stalk problem?

Post by Boxertools »

Hello all, my name is Mike.
I wonder if you can help me with a problem?
I have a 61 2 door saloon.
When I indicate left, the stalk and the indicators outside flash.
When I indicate right, the stalk flashes once and the lights outside flash as normal.
Any ideas?
Mike.
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

tyr moving the cables on the stalk and teh flasher relay
mine dose this some times it is were i do not move it done all the way
that is no my 61 2 door as well
mm16
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

As I didn't understand much of mm16's reply here's my 2p worth:

If the lights outside flash OK for both left and right then the indicator switch and flasher unit should be OK. What's probably at fault is the (green?) wire which goes up the chrome stalk to the bulb on the end. Try wiggling the connectors to the indicator stalk and see if it starts working again, if not then the wire may be frayed where it goes into the chrome stalk. I've not tried replacing this wire but I bet it isn't easy, you can buy new stalks now but I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the one I got.
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

thanks stig that is what i was trying to say but the christmas bubbly was taking over again sorry
moggyminor16
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
Cam

Post by Cam »

I had exactly this problem. Mine turned out to be the flasher unit. Replaced it and it was fine.
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

Cam wrote:I had exactly this problem. Mine turned out to be the flasher unit. Replaced it and it was fine.
There is, of course, no logical reason why the flasher unit should behave differently for left or right, but since when did car electrics every behave logically? - And replacing the flasher unit is much easier and cheaper than replacing the indicator stalk.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Well, yes in principle I agree, but of course if changing the unit cures the problem then there IS a logical reason for it, but we just don't know what it is!! :lol:

My guess was that one side of the indicators was drawing slightly more (or less) current than the other and it was this that was invoking an intermitant fault within the flasher can. It was just a guess but we have had a couple of people with this problem on here since.
Boxertools

Post by Boxertools »

Thank you for all your replies.
The curious thing, is that when indicating right, the stalk flashes only once, and always once.
I will try changing the flasher unit over from my traveller.
Thanks again.
Mike.
Boxertools

Post by Boxertools »

OK, I swaped the unit over from my traveller and now it flashes on both sides inside & out, but faster on one side than the other.
It is of course usable & safe, but not quite right.
Any further ideas?

P.s.
I plan to sell my 71 K reg traveller & my 61 2 door shortly.
Any opinons as to where is the best place to sell?
Mike.
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

If the two sides of indicator lights flash at different speeds it is usually because the bulbs are not all the same power rating.
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

newagetraveller wrote:If the two sides of indicator lights flash at different speeds it is usually because the bulbs are not all the same power rating.
Or there's a poor connection to one of them.
Larryb
Minor Friendly

Re: Indicator stalk problem?

Post by Larryb »

My 1967 Morris Minor Traveller had a working stalk indicator light until I had some electrical work done on it. The little green light no longer works. All of the turn signal lights work. I have attached some photos of the mechanism. The space is very thight and good photos are not easy. All of the wires come to the connections wrapped in a single orange colored conduit. It seems they are all connected properly but I cannot even see well enough to determine if that is so.

I did change the light bulb but that did not help. The bulb is difficult to get in and out as the thread inside the stalk is merely a spring. To get the bulb out I have to break the glass and use needle nose pliers to pry out the threaded part. A picture is attached.

I think I am doomed to go without a light as nobody in this part of the world has any experience with them (Maine-USA) Do you know it the auto return function works? I hope I can fix that as I am always leaving the turning lights on much to my friends amusement.

Thanks for any help.
stalk light 4.jpg
stalk light 4.jpg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
stalk light 3.jpg
stalk light 3.jpg (98.17 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
stalk light 2.jpg
stalk light 2.jpg (82.29 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
stalk light 1.jpg
stalk light 1.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
Attachments
stalk light 4.jpg
stalk light 4.jpg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

I would think it is a contact problem within the holder. Easy enough to check with a multimeter probe, if you have one.

The 'indicator left on' problem could easily be overcome with a feed from the flasher unit (or the feed to the bulb, if there is no fault in the wiring at that point) to a lamp in clear visibility of the driver, or a loud piezo buzzer to keep your ears aware that your indicators are operating. Many modern cars have an audible system to avoid this little problem.

RAB
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Last time my indicator warning light failed, the fault was the flasher unit. I would check that before you blame the stalk.
The self cancelling is setup by adjusting the fit of the stalk (or the outer sleeve to be more accurate) and the little screw-in device on the column so that the two pieces touch each other. It is hard to explain without photos - perhaps a search of this site will show a better explanation?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

If you put the flasher unit whether old or new inside the car, i.e. under the dash, you can usually hear the clicking of the relay alerting you to turn it off.