Tool Kit

To share thoughts, ideas and inspirations on the subject of councours, judging and how to restore your Minor to showroom condition
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
vwesch
MMOC Member: No

Tool Kit

Post by vwesch »

I have a very original,one previous owner, 59 vert. The tool kit I have is a very basic set in a vinyl bag. According to 2 different sources I have, It should have the earlier, more complete set in a cavas roll. My question is:How well did they document such changes.
I worked on vintage Jags years ago and know that many "chages" were made at "about car #....". I have pics of my car taken when new and you clearly see this bag in the boot.
Happy Holidays Jeff
psjorge
Minor Fan

Post by psjorge »

I'm not a big expert but I believe that you have the correct tool bag. Initially they were made of a heavy duty fabric and, sometime during '52/'53 (I'm not a very accurate, am I?) changed to a vinyl/plastic one.

By the way, I'm building up a toll kit for my '54 car and got hold of and original starting handle. It's fairly well preserved with just some minor surface rust. However it needs to be painted to come back to it's former glory. I know they were originally painted black with a grey handle.

Due to the fact that I've never seen one except in pictures, I'm unsure whether the grey handle was indeed painted or plated (zync-plated I assume). If it was painted was it gloss or dull?

Can you please check this for me with your original set?

Obviously, everybody else is most welcome to also send me some feed-back on this!

Thanks a lot,
Pedro
vwesch

Post by vwesch »

Pedro My car has a different handle than yours. Mine is the later one piece style[no seperate handle]. Your handle was used up until car #434268 approx. Jeff
psjorge
Minor Fan

Post by psjorge »

Thanks for your answer Jeff. So your handle should be red, right?

By what you say, I take it that I should also have a vinyl/plastica tool bag such as yours. Do you know of any supplier that sells a reproduction bag?

Regards,
Pedro