Please post any problems you are having with the website here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Private Message Filters ?

Post by bmcecosse »

What are Private Message Filters? I see I have had two incoming PMs removed by 'Private Message Filters' - I thought PMs were just that - PRIVATE - or is this an automatic filter that removes spam or sweary words ??
ImageImage
LouiseM

Re: Private Message Filters ?

Post by LouiseM »

PM's are private. Presumably you got an email notification letting you know who the pm's were from? Not heard of this happening before but as you seem to have put a large number of board members on your 'naughty step' if the pm's are from one of those then I guess that would be why they have been automatically removed.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

you must have a very large step then roy :o :lol: :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No emails Louise - just the notice that two PMs have been removed. So that suggests that someone is reading them - and blocking them because they don't like the content Or perhaps the 'machine' removes them if they perhaps contained sweary words -something like that? I have no idea who are 'board members' but if they are serially rude to me - they go on the step. I can't be bothered reading their nonsense. Actually - I just had a recent clear out of the step - not many on it now - only the serial offenders. Surprisingly quite a few of the names I put on the step seem to disappear from the forum quite soon after - maybe they come back with a new name - I have no idea. Just recently too - I seem to have 'lost' a few posts on threads - again no notice of them being removed, or why . Is this the way the system works now? Just because someone doesn't like me speaking my mind. I am always most careful not to libel anyone - or any Company. Best regards Roy Allingham
ImageImage
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

PM's can be removed/appear to have disappeared from your "IN" box if the sender decides not to send the PM and deletes it before you have read it. Nothing sinister in it - just a change of mind. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

It could be that the senders have decided to delete their PM's but you would normally get a message telling you that. As already said Roy, no one is able to read others PM's. I don't know if the 'profanity filter' works on PM's but if it does it would just amend the swear words, not delete the entire message.

By 'board members' I meant messageboard members. Not a problem with 'speaking your mind' if you are posting constructive comments which are helpful to other members but there's an old saying which my Mum used to say 'if you can't say something nice don't say anything' so maybe think about what you're posting and how it might come across to others before pressing the submit button?

You should have received a PM explaining why some of your messages were removed yesterday but happy to discuss further via PM if you need further clarification.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh I do think carefully about what I am writing before posting...... Good to hear that PM are indeed Private - not that I have anything to hide in my PMs. These appeared to be 'incoming' messages that had been deleted - perhaps indeed their originators thought better of what they were going to say in the PM. Or perhaps they simply changed their mind about buying some parts I had up for sale. Thanks for the advice. Roy
ImageImage