Vanished member and then vanished post!!

Please post any problems you are having with the website here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bugsy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Vanished member and then vanished post!!

Post by bugsy »

When I acquired my 1000 convertible in 2010, I joined MMOC (memb no 68305) and registered on the website soon after and made one or two posts so I recall. My membership has been continuous since.

Recently, after several months of not logging in, I decided to post an item asking if there is anyone out there who can explain the significance of 10V as the prefix of the number of the engine in my convertible, backed up with a photo of the engine no plate.

First problem - my original registration had disappeared so I was apparently no longer a member, so I then had to re-register, feeling like I had just had to rejoin the club despite having been paying subs for the past 6 years!

Second problem, having spent a good 30 mins doing it (and it was definitely there a couple of days later,) I decided to check for responses to my new only to find it's GONE!! And I only posted it about 10 days ago!

What's going on then - don't you want me in the club? If so, just let me know and I'll resign.

NOT IMPRESSED!
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Vanished member and then vanished post!!

Post by simmitc »

Sorry to hear that you've had this problem. The first thing to clear up is that membership of the forum is not the same as membership of the Club. You have continued as a member of the Club regardless of whether you used the forum or not, and setting up a new user for the forum has nothing to do with rejoining the Club. So, you have been a member of the MMOC, and I hope that you will remain so.

It is possible that inactive login names might be removed - we would at work, so why not here? It's also possible that where they have been testing a new system then perhaps something went astray there, but that's for the Webmaster to investigate.

As to your missing post, I can't help with that, but can see that your profile shows that you have ten posts, but I can find only eight against your name; so I'm going to leave it to Cam (the Webmaster) to have a look and see if he can work out what's gone on.
Cam

Post by Cam »

Hi bugsy,

I have checked the moderator logs and no posts of yours have been removed, deleted, moved or pruned. The log records ALL activity by the moderating and admin team, so if anyone has done anything I can see the details. There are no entries against your user ID.

Your first posting was on on 2nd June 2010 under the title 'Time for a new MMOC-recommended insurer?'. There were several posts from you under this title up until 13th June 2011.

Then no posts until this current one, so it seems your account was not used for around 5 years. Your records indicate that the account has been active since 2nd June 2010 and so has not been deactivated within this time. If you had to re-register, the records would have indicated that the account was active from the date you re-registered. This does not appear to be the case.

Also, just for clarification, membership of this messageboard is completely free and is open to members and non-members of the MMOC. Membership of the MMOC is an entirely different thing and although we would recommend membership of the MMOC, it is certainly not mandatory.
bugsy
Minor Friendly

Post by bugsy »

Cam wrote:Hi bugsy,

I have checked the moderator logs and no posts of yours have been removed, deleted, moved or pruned. The log records ALL activity by the moderating and admin team, so if anyone has done anything I can see the details. There are no entries against your user ID.

Your first posting was on on 2nd June 2010 under the title 'Time for a new MMOC-recommended insurer?'. There were several posts from you under this title up until 13th June 2011.

Then no posts until this current one, so it seems your account was not used for around 5 years. Your records indicate that the account has been active since 2nd June 2010 and so has not been deactivated within this time. If you had to re-register, the records would have indicated that the account was active from the date you re-registered. This does not appear to be the case.

Also, just for clarification, membership of this messageboard is completely free and is open to members and non-members of the MMOC. Membership of the MMOC is an entirely different thing and although we would recommend membership of the MMOC, it is certainly not mandatory.
Well the post was definitely there for at least 24 hours, posted slightly after my re-registration - carried out because the site didn't recognise my login details after all this time thus obliging me to re-register. Immediately after I did that, my registration date showed as the re-registration date, but when I logged in a couple of days later (when I discovered that my post re engine type had disappeared) I noticed that the registration date had reverted to my original registration in May 2010. What seems to have happened is that the re-registration, and the post that I made just after it, were somehow over-written by the original registration re-appearing - hence the post vanished. This also explains why you discovered no record of the post - my re-registration (which used the same username and password as the original) and associated post were annihilated by the original making a comeback!

I have in fact accessed the message board fairly regularly over the past five years, but just searching for information based on the experiences of other Minor owners - I could do that without logging in. Now my old reg has resurfaced, I'll consider putting the post back up. Many thanks for your assistance, and making the distinction between using the site and membership of MMOC - I was unaware of that as, I suspect, are many other MMOC members.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

The page where you log into this site has a tick box for staying logged in, I recommend ticking that next time you log in. I have done this for years and has not caused me any problems.