Not what it used to be?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Not what it used to be?

Post by firedrake1942 »

Louise, I was always taught that where a lack of communication was found 'facts' and rumour will fill the void. If members were told what was being done , or at least that concerns were being heard and or addressed most would be understanding. It is the apparent lack of response - until tonight - that is perhaps of most concern. In respect of criticism, the moderators are the ones that look at the comments and have a conduit back to decision makers / movers / shakers as to rank and file feeling as here. Silence is golden, it is also dangerous!

Thank you for the update, the action and the communication. I trust the car is now better!. As regards mobile devices, mine is an i phone and getting in is the first problem. The dual passwords are over complex - almost as bad as my bank account! The layering of the content has been commented on above. It appears that the website does not display well on (some) mobile devices and its functionality is affected. An app has been suggested which may fix things. The forum is very valuable, it could be more valuable yet if it were more user friendly in the areas highlighted.

I, for one, still cannot get a signature picture or avatar to take.

Again, thank you ! Please keep us posted via the new message board forum.

JM
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

firedrake1942 wrote:Louise, I was always taught that where a lack of communication was found 'facts' and rumour will fill the void. If members were told what was being done , or at least that concerns were being heard and or addressed most would be understanding. It is the apparent lack of response - until tonight - that is perhaps of most concern. In respect of criticism, the moderators are the ones that look at the comments and have a conduit back to decision makers / movers / shakers as to rank and file feeling as here. Silence is golden, it is also dangerous!
The issues with uploading pictures has been raised previously with our IT provider, and the problem is that the mods aren't being told what is being done either, so have nothing to update people with, although I have updated several members who have sent me pm's. Bear in mind that the mods do not necessarily visit here everyday, nor are they able to read every message posted, so the best thing to do if you want to get our attention quickly is to send us a pm - or better still, if you have problems with the messageboard post them in the 'problems with the messageboard' forum as they will get noticed there quicker than in 'off topic'. If our time is limited (and as we all work full time it is) then we will deal with priorities first, such as dealing with queries via pm (which we get a lot of!) rather than spend time looking at all of the various messages that have been posted since we last visited. Personally, at the moment I can only visit here early in the morning or late at night, and not every day if I'm working away, hence the reason I'm posting this at almost midnight. Whereas previously the webmaster had control over the various site functions this is no longer the case so the mods have to contact the webmaster who then has to contact our IT provider (I tried contacting them directly myself but got no response) so things take a lot longer than they used to if there are any technical problems. (I have raised your query re: timings). PS: No, the traveller is not better. Another thing to deal with when I can get some free time......

Eric - 1971 Traveller
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Thank you for your post Louise and good luck with your traveller. Have you done the fuel pump flow test, see how long it takes to pump two litres.

BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by BrianHawley »

image.png
image.png (986.34 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
LouiseM wrote:
firedrake1942 wrote:Louise, I was always taught that where a lack of communication was found 'facts' and rumour will fill the void. If members were told what was being done , or at least that concerns were being heard and or addressed most would be understanding. It is the apparent lack of response - until tonight - that is perhaps of most concern. In respect of criticism, the moderators are the ones that look at the comments and have a conduit back to decision makers / movers / shakers as to rank and file feeling as here. Silence is golden, it is also dangerous!
The issues with uploading pictures has been raised previously with our IT provider, and the problem is that the mods aren't being told what is being done either, so have nothing to update people with, although I have updated several members who have sent me pm's. Bear in mind that the mods do not necessarily visit here everyday, nor are they able to read every message posted, so the best thing to do if you want to get our attention quickly is to send us a pm - or better still, if you have problems with the messageboard post them in the 'problems with the messageboard' forum as they will get noticed there quicker than in 'off topic'. If our time is limited (and as we all work full time it is) then we will deal with priorities first, such as dealing with queries via pm (which we get a lot of!) rather than spend time looking at all of the various messages that have been posted since we last visited. Personally, at the moment I can only visit here early in the morning or late at night, and not every day if I'm working away, hence the reason I'm posting this at almost midnight. Whereas previously the webmaster had control over the various site functions this is no longer the case so the mods have to contact the webmaster who then has to contact our IT provider (I tried contacting them directly myself but got no response) so things take a lot longer than they used to if there are any technical problems. (I have raised your query re: timings). PS: No, the traveller is not better. Another thing to deal with when I can get some free time......
Hi Louise.

Thanks for your work. I've been a board mod myself and I know it's a thankless task, particularly if you are not getting support from the web masters.

I've posted a screen shot here as a test. Not sure if I got the 'place in line' right. Clicked the button and it turned green. Is that right? We'll see.

The screen shot is the main page on an iPad. You will notice that the lower red banner is cut off behind the photo when it should be on top. You will also notice that the Home button is hidden behind the club logo. Not good.

Trying to be constructive and hope this helps.
Last edited by BrianHawley on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

Ok, well the picture posted but it was there twice.

I edited the post and deleted the attachment. It was gone, but the text image.png was there twice in the text.

Uploaded the picture again and clicked post in line.

Now there are three images!

It's not a particularly intuitive interface. A tick box for post in line might be better. I'm guessing if you click post in line more than once, you get a picture for each click and there is no feedback indication if a click has been recognised.

Again, hope this helps.
Brian

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

I've got it back to one image by editing the text directly.

That works fine, but not ideal for the IT challenged.
Brian

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

IMG_3529.PNG
IMG_3529.PNG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 4656 times
And here's a shot on a iPhone.

Actually it's not too bad apart from the clutter at the top right. That menu might be better in the drop menu for mobile format.

The forum is pretty good on the iPhone, although I would prefer Tapatalk support.
Brian

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Well the mods have been given no instructions for the various functions so I'm just trying them out to see if they work, same as everyone else. I always click on 'preview' before posting as you'll then be able to see if too many pictures have been posted, spot any spelling mistakes etc. Personally, I avoid the home page altogether by saving the forum index page as a 'favourite' on my phone and pc.
firedrake1942 wrote: In respect of criticism, the moderators are the ones that look at the comments and have a conduit back to decision makers / movers / shakers as to rank and file feeling as here.

Just to add that the mods don't have some sort of special 'hot line' - if I want to raise any issues I just contact the club office directly, which is the same route for any other member. This route is available to all, and contacting the club directly with your concerns is a much quicker way to get them to the people who may be able to do something about them than posting on here, plus reduces the workload for the mods. Far better for us to spend time dealing with messageboard issues that we can fix, and providing individual help to members when they pm us, rather than spending it passing on moans/complaints from members who could just as easily raise them with the club themselves. It certainly wasn't in the job description that mods have to act as a 'conduit' and pass on members complaints posted here to the club office - that isn't part of a moderators role.

amgrave wrote: Have you done the fuel pump flow test, see how long it takes to pump two litres.
Yes, flow test done and all OK. It's the fuel flow when under load which is the problem - it's OK when idling.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Louise, my apologies if I have misunderstood the role and or remit of the moderators - Quis custodiet? etc..

It is actually quite daunting raising issues directly with HQ and I have not had great experience dealing with them (Rosemary aside). It appears that there is little or no 'webmaster' type activity or role as elsewhere on blogs or fora that I use - my experience is, admittedly, limited here. I do think it rather belittles members to refer to their 'moans', when these are legitimate issues on services, (for which members pay) .

There is little guidance on what all the buttons and codes mean especially for the non-techies amongst us. I have posted on the 'problems with website' board and there has been a deafening silence in reply. (One of the buttons could usefully be a spell / grammar check)

Again apologies for loading this on to you, but you are the only one to have had the 'cojones' to raise a head above the parapet and make things clearer. This is, as I have repeatedly made clear, a very valuable resource, but as Philthehill said in relation to a technical issue, a picture paints a thousand words and giving advice on an illustrated problem could be very effective.

I hope the traveller issue is resolved in time for the National.

Jm
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

firedrake1942 wrote: It appears that there is little or no 'webmaster' type activity or role as elsewhere on blogs or fora that I use - my experience is, admittedly, limited here. I do think it rather belittles members to refer to their 'moans', when these are legitimate issues on services, (for which members pay) .

There is little guidance on what all the buttons and codes mean especially for the non-techies amongst us. I have posted on the 'problems with website' board and there has been a deafening silence in reply. (One of the buttons could usefully be a spell / grammar check)
I'm not intending to 'belittle' members legitimate issues, and most here are very good at raising issues constructively and being patient when waiting for a response, but there are others (a small minority) whose postings are repetitive, bordering on rude and are not in the least bit constructive and who have been notified on countless occasions previously that the best way to raise their particular issues is to contact the office directly. So apologies if you felt that my response was aimed at you - it wasn't.

Yes, guidance on what all the buttons do would be useful (I count myself as a non-techy) but if you hover over them a display will come up to say what that particular button does.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

The first three buttons even I understand. Hovering over the others leaves me none the wiser. Ho Hum, I am only slightly younger than my car........
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Regarding photos, does anyone else get the legend "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post" instead of the picture? Sometimes I get the photo and sometimes the legend, indeed, at the moment I've got the legend on my ipod and the photo (Philthehill on "Rear Hub Oil Seal Failure") on the computer that I'm writing this on now.
Its v annoying. What do I need to do to get the photo every time? Regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

MikeNash wrote:Regarding photos, does anyone else get the legend "You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post" instead of the picture? Sometimes I get the photo and sometimes the legend, indeed, at the moment I've got the legend on my ipod and the photo (Philthehill on "Rear Hub Oil Seal Failure") on the computer that I'm writing this on now.
Its v annoying. What do I need to do to get the photo every time? Regards, MikeN.
Unfortunately Mike you need to be logged in to view the pictures, not like the old site which displayed them if you were logged in or not. Also the new site when clicking on a link in a post does not open in a new tab which personally I find rather annoying.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Thanks for that Tricky! I've "Clever Daughter" here tomorrow so I'll get her to translate what you've written and show me.
Taa, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

When will this and other problems get sorted :roll:
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

This is my first time here since the upgrade, some of the last responses I have are still from Roy and it's definitely not the same without him.

On the more positive side it seems pictures are now easier to post (though I haven't yet managed to get them in the text rather than all together underneath it) and a lot of people are still here. I'll visit more frequently from now on.
Gabriel
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

GBond wrote:This is my first time here since the upgrade, some of the last responses I have are still from Roy and it's definitely not the same without him.

On the more positive side it seems pictures are now easier to post (though I haven't yet managed to get them in the text rather than all together underneath it) and a lot of people are still here. I'll visit more frequently from now on.
Yes, it seems to be pretty much sorted out now.

Just a few minor (ahem) irritations like this:
mmocxx.png
mmocxx.png (108.84 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
Red banner should be in front of the picture, not behind.
Brian

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Recently uncovered pic of a 6mth old yoors twooly sat on the bonnet of a friend's Minor 4dr!

Bit of a shock as I always thought the family owned an 1100!!

Anyone do "Minor Contact" YOUNGER than 6mths?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!