In the future will Britain export anything very much special ?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: In the future will Britain export anything very much special ?

Post by LobbyLudd »

amgrave wrote:Nah, being surrounded by sea we can swim :wink: :lol: :lol:
Yep, and we should also be able to more intelligently manage that same swimming area for the remaining fish surrounding 'our' island, instead of this daft present EU 'fishing quota' system involving chucking back tons of perfectly good but by then dead fish even after the greedy 'free for all' of fishing from all and sundry from other EU fishing vessels.
Hugh Fearnley 'wots his name' a year or so ago had already suggested some very practical ideas to suggest as a basis to design a 'sustainable' home British fishing policy. If the politician given responsibility for fisheries and food then would kindly have the courtesy to look again at these ideas in readiness for when we regain control of our own fishing grounds from beuaracrats who have been sittiing stubbornly on this daft wasteful policy in Brussels for so long.
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

Winston Churchill had many famous sayings one of which was, if you forgive my Translation from the German that I know

,"Ask the common man on the street of his opinion and you know straight away what is wrong with Democracy".

Anyway, getting away from the Emotion, the other member states are on the whole dismayed that such a prominent member wishes to leave but at the same time not totally sorry. Whenever reforms or combined policies were to be agreed it was nearly always the UK blocking it. Now it seems Poland has taken over this role

But it would seem that the powers attributed to the Brussels decisions are over exemplified. There are so so many things which individual member states do over which Brussels has no control and no desire to control. Unless you study that sort of Thing you would not be Aware of Events unfolding in Spain or Slovakia or that the German government wish to intruduce tolls on the Autobahnen for private cars which the EU has opposed. Nearly all directives are endorsed by individual governments as the laws of individual countries demand, which in any case on important matters at least are AGREED by heads of state in advance.

Important though it is, Europe is much much more than a customs free trading Zone. Cultural exchanges, Student movements, University Research, ..the list is endless.

I am resigned to the fact that my previous Close ties to GB/UK will be lessened in the future. But I am not taken in by the democratic Argument which made it so. There are undoubtably powerful People in the UK that rejoice on the Brexit vote because their powers were most definately being eroded by Brussels. The government were not obliged to accept the result but it did because obviously it percieved a great advantage to be had. The popular rhetoric of having regained control over ones own affairs sounds quite convincing, if you want to be convinced, but is not real Politik any more. Governments have just as much control over their affairs as they ever did, the only difference being that they do so within agreed Parameters.

I do not believe the British have been stupid. I do not believe that the UK will either be better off outside of the EU nor vastly impoverished because of it. I do think however that the Referendum was a mistake in the first place and a lesson to other states to be more careful in such matters. Indeed., the result had the immediate effect on other countries voting where the right wing nationalists were gaining popularity. In Austria, Netherlands and France they were all defeated, and quite convincingly too.

So although the UK is leaving the EU, and we are all getting used to it now, its significance has not diminished and this may be the biggest British export of all.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I know we're a prominent member but Europe will adapt and as you mention they won't have the headache of us refusing to roll over on some things but I'm sure we will still be available to offer a hand if need be, especially in intelligence matters. :D

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Perhaps in time we will have a better relationship with European nations, because we left and are therefore free once more to choose our own path.
Perhaps it will actually prove to be more benificial for each of us with the UK out, in that we may prove to be a useful bridge between Europe and the rest of the trading nations in the world.
You see the world through the EU Nickol, I think it is something that we in the UK would never sit happily with , so accept we are leaving, give us a fair deal instead of trying to punish us for doing so (thus avoiding long term bitterness / sourness to relations) and you may find we can be of more use to each other in the long run.
You state that this is down to right wing nationalism and condemn it, just remember there are extremes on both sides of the fence, maybe people in this country were just as repulsed by the other.
Whatever the case, there is no justification in labelling everyone in this country who voted to leave an extremist.
And to the Remainers who really can't bear to be out, go in peace and live in one of the remaining 27 countries, rather than remaining here in bitterness.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

".........there are extremes on both sides of the fence, maybe people in this country were just as repulsed by the other."
Now THAT is almost certainly true. When people have things inflicted upon them which they don't like or agree with, they will react, and if they are not listened to, they are forced to 'up the anti' in some way or another. And, in some ways, I believe a number of people who voted Brexit were protesting against an arrogant elite that had failed to command their respect by inflicting massive and unwanted change on our traditional communities and values, rather than the general concept of the EU.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

protesting against an arrogant elite that had failed to command their respect
An arrogant elite indeed, who fully expected to dupe us into continuing to follow the ever shrinking EU carrot and in doing so win the referendum by a comfortable margin.
They didn't believe they could ever loose and still can't believe they did in some ways, however they should realise by now that however much they carry on (Re)moaning, we are leaving.
So as I said the best thing for them to do, as their bitterness is doing no-one, especially not them, any good, is to pack their bags and go and live 'inside' their precious EU.
There they can preach to their hearts content.......
We still won't be listening........................
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I find it disappointing but I suppose it's not surprising that the demographics on here and those of the most excitable Brexiters has a significant crossover. Us young(er) folk will live with this decision for longer. Everything I earn and own is now worth less and redundancies are now rife in my sector that, surprise, works with many European partners and is a worldwide exporter. :roll:

Manufacturing of the type that those speak of with such nostalgia is never coming back. That wasn't the EU though, it was technological advancement and the rise of international supply chains.

I think I may export myself and my skills this year. But as above, they're not listening.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As I said before we are more realistic than the Remoaners gives us credit for, those loyal to this country and proud to be identified and British (or English) will remain (ironic) and rebuild / reinvent this country into a great independent nation once more.
Differently than before yes but still great and independent.
Those who don't identify as British, for example some of the protestors in London (noted with placards stating I am not British I am European), may leave freely.

Note though that there were a lot of young people who voted to leave as well, being young(er) as you put it, isn't an indicator by itself of the way people were thinking last June.

Best wishes,
Mike.