Obsessed? Moi ???

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Obsessed? Moi ???

Post by firedrake1942 »

IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3088 times
Tea
Minor Fan

Re: Obsessed? Moi ???

Post by Tea »

That is awesome! Where did you manage to find it?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-Classic-195 ... 9-&vxp=mtr

Its available elsewhere as well but more expensive. But be careful the image is actually a photo taken through speedometer glass and has the reflections of the glass on it That said for about £6.00 and the about same again for delivery it seems to be a reliable watch, keeping good time.

Also available are watches with the later type speedo image on, (albeit for a mini cooper.)

To a certain extent, for me at least, this is a bit of a cheat as this later gold faced speedo has only one light at the top where as the one in my 1957 has two. It's close enough!
Attachments
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Plin
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Plin »

:D I want one - but I doubt it will fit my tiny wrist :cry:
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

That's easily sorted - just stuff yourself with loads of chips, burgers, chocolate, milk shakes etc and you will see your wrist expand nicely........along with the rest of you! :wink:
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

It fits mine and i don't eat the cr@p that has been mentioned, In any case there are , as on most watch straps, plenty of links which can be removed to alter the size.
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

:lol: :lol: Thanks for the advice about how to make the watch fit!! I know it says it fits between a 6 1/2 - 8 inch wrist but it would look enormous on my wrist (which is just under 6 inches). Now if they shrank it to a ladies size...!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Panic not, these are similar but UNISEX

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Morris-Minor-100 ... VQfXps4-rg
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I saw these recently on fleabay. There must be more than one company in Hong Kong turning them out as I see your image has a mileometer with a reading, whereas the one I saw was at 00000.
It's annoying that they have limited advertising for them and that they are fairly prolific on eBay Canada, but not a sniff on the UK site.

I think the only cautionary tale I would have is that when I was in the USA during my RAF career, we had some watches made with a unique logo on the face, which cost about US$25 each.
After about 4 years, the case was so tarnished where the thin chrome plate had worn off, I had quite a job finding a replacement cheap watch which I could swap the case from. 10 years later, I'm now on a 2nd replacement watch, case and innards, with just the face transferred over.
So just be prepared to do a case change in the future.
:wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

firedrake1942
How did you get on with the exchange conversions using ebay Canada?
I've brought stuff from Amazon.com before and their prices were all upfront converted before you committed to the purchase.
How does it work with ebay from an overseas site?
Basil the 1955 series II

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

The eventual price charged to my debit card was within a nat's crotchet of the exchange rate on the day ordered. No problems with it at all. The debit on my account showed it in $can, the exchange rate and the amount in £ (and of course the greedy capitalist lackey of a bank's charges for doing less than sod all)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

firedrake1942 wrote:The eventual price charged to my debit card was within a nat's crotchet of the exchange rate on the day ordered. No problems with it at all. The debit on my account showed it in $can, the exchange rate and the amount in £ (and of course the greedy capitalist lackey of a bank's charges for doing less than sod all)
Basil the 1955 series II