Marina rear axle

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Marina rear axle

Post by Suzukimorris »

Hi guys, quick question, does anybody know if the leaf springs off the marina/ital are the same width as the morris ones? I'm still after some lowering blocks for my set up (1.5 inch) and can only find the marina ones sold separately. I was going to go down the get ones made, but am still surprised nobody sells them without the u bolts!

Thanks

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Marina rear axle

Post by philthehill »

The Marina/Ital rear springs are wider than the Minor.
If you have the 'U' bolts you can always cut the centre out of an old unserviceable Minor spring and add that between the existing spring and the axle seat and bolt through ALL the leaves.
Having the lowering blocks fitted you increase the leverage on the spring and you may experience axle tramp under certain conditions.
Better to get the springs re-set to ride 1.5" lower as the leverage on the springs will remain the same.

Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

Ahh that's interesting thanks! Where would I look at getting something like that done? And what sort of price would you guess at? It's a crude solution for a clearance issue Ive stumbled upon until I have the funds to go with a spring/ damper set up from a certain Warwickshire based company who must not be named it seems! Basically trying my hardest to get the morris back on the road for me wedding next year but I've prioritised brakes and drive train initially. I was always going to do the lot In One foul swoop but saving for a wedding and rebuilding the morris to the spec I've gone for was pretty short sighted!

Cheers for your time

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Look in the classic car magazines. There is bound to be a spring re-manufacturer near you.
As regards cost I have no exact idea but would expect to pay around £70+ to have a pair of good springs reset.
When I had mine reset to give a 2" reduction in ride height they were brand new BMC traveller springs and the resetting did not reduce their spring rate. I took an inch off the bump stops to give a bit more travel and it has worked out just right.

Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

Oh smart, thanks for that, will look into it

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Lowering blocks are indeed a very bad idea.... Most Minors sit too low anyway - almost on the bump stops. Mine are shortened by 2".... to get at least some suspension travel!
ImageImage