1961 black 2 door 1000 restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1961 black 2 door 1000 restoration

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Yes Fin, left the door on to keep everything in the right place but also to keep the rain out as its sitting outside! Did a wee bit today, back at it again in the morning after Steveys suspension has been put back together.

Too many Minors so little time.....
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Some good progress this week, after removing several layers of patches and finding out how bad the drivers side a pillar was I took the plunge and cut out lots of metal.[frame]Image[/frame]

As you can guess I was pretty fed up with this as this is the last corner to repair and it didnt look to bad.......[frame]Image[/frame]
so thats the edge of the inner wing repaired and the botom of the inner hinge pillar bit.[frame]Image[/frame]

outer bit fixed along with the end of the sill and about half of the boxing plate. It would have been as easy to have put a full sill in this side but I suppose I started at the wrong end because the front looked ok.

Not too much left to do now I hope...... Finish making the end of the hinge pillar cover and hinge pillar though I wont weld these to the sill until the car is back down on its wheels as this allows for correcting any movent that there may have been in the pillar. This door always did sit a bit low so hopefully it can be improved. The aim is to have it back on the ground by maybe Wednesday or Thursday so any strong willing helpers to get it down :D

kjm
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by kjm »

give me a txt , off next week :D

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:The aim is to have it back on the ground by maybe Wednesday or Thursday so any strong willing helpers to get it down
no probs man let me know when :D

minor 62
Minor Friendly

Post by minor 62 »

i will be there & ill bring the buns, if you have the kettle on
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Cheers guys!!

I finished the underneath welding today, just a few small spots to do once the car is back on the ground. I got it primed between the showers and had to keep using the heat gun to dry it off...... It then brightened for a whil and I got a coat of black on, the paint is very thin almost watery but its dries quickly so I guess it will need several coats.[frame]Image[/frame]

You can clearly see the bits to finish were I havent painted, end of the drivers sill, bottom of the A post and just above the spring hanger and the B post on the passenger side. Should all be quick and straight foward.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Back down on its wheels again today!! A big thank you to the Gordon Clan for there help in letting it down :D[frame]Image[/frame]

I finished off the drivers side A post, sill end and above the spring hanger. Needs a bit on the rear wheel arch flange on the ds and tiny bit finished on the ps b post. Lots of cleaning down to do on the inside and get it painted up as well.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Great progress, did you get new wings sorted out?

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Yes got some wings, bought the back ones from the car that John Master was breaking, using the drivers side one from the 54 project as it has the proper small sidelight hole were as the 54 one is a cheesy and has the light in the grill. The original passenger side wing is going to be refitted, this was a new wing about 13 years ago and still good.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

its going great guns... nearly ready for paint :D

kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

Looking good David :D

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Some major work you are doing but looks great now :D
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Well we got a share of some of the dry weather that you folks in Englad have had yesterday and today 8)

Yesterday I got the last part of the wheelarch on the drivers side finished and cleaned the floor down again on the drivers side with a wire brush on the angle grinder, followed by a couple of cotas of primer.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Then today I finished the bottom of the B post on the passenger side and again cleaned up this side of the floor and primer on.[frame]Image[/frame]

I put plenty of paint into the inner sills and spread it around as much as I could to try and get some protection against rust. I also did a bit more to the ps back wing with the wire brush and now Ive got a bit to weld up on it....... Hopefully only one more wee bit left to weld on the car, its a small hole on the drivers side of the flitch panel.

Planning to put some gloss paint on it tomorrow :D

DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Looking good ! glad to see another 61 being restored.!

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

great stuff coming on fast now.. dont know if you'll get much done this week.. weather is pants :D

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Finally did a wee bit more on this today. Hopefully I have now finished all the welding on the body, just a couple of panels to finish off. I am considering putting it back together and geting it MOTed before painting it as it would be so much easier just to drive it to the painters rather than having to get a trailer there and back and it wouldnt take that long to strip off lights and things again.

I will try and concentrate on this on and get it finished before the frost really start properly :cry:

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Well the good news is that my planning permission for the garage is passed and as we speak/type there are builders still pouring and smoothing concrete outside in the dark........

As for the black minor, the petrol tank has been refitted, back axle filled, gearbox filled, propshaft bolted on and I have fitted new brake cylinders on the back along with one new pipe as the steel nut had rusted tight against the copper and just wouldnt budge. I moved on the the passenger side front today and the cylinders there are fine, the bleeder was rusted in but I got it to shift with vice grips. I have ordered new flexi hoses to put on. I thought I would see if the small connector pipe beteween the front cylinders would move and now regret touching it as ouf course it was also seized up. I had another but am struggling to get it to fit properly, on the 948 there is very little space between the back plate and the hub to fit this correctly. Perhaps the pipe is slightly too long as I vaguely recall having this problem before. I ended up walking away from it after almost an hour before I wrecked the threads. I will start with it in the morning! :roll: :roll:

kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

good progress David, you will be glad to have the garage built.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

I came home from work tonight and they have laid the driveway bit between the new garage and the old one and started to erect the steel frame work, it gives a proper idea of how big its going to be :D :D

kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

will try to come over soon