1961 black 2 door 1000 restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

1961 black 2 door 1000 restoration

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I bought this minor at a local auction in 1997, it was the first minor I bought that was capable to drive home under its own power!! Previous ones had been big projects. The main thing that I liked was it had a new interoir fitted and looked in reasonable condition. I paid about £250ish. Once home it needed repairs to all inner wing, drivers side chasis leg and new sills on both sides. 3 of us went to Blenhein Palace for the 50th Celebrations in this car :D The following year it had a couple of second hand wings fitted a respray and some new chrome. It was used daily for a while, then Dad bought it off me when I left home and it was still used regularly. Dad passed away in September 2009 and the car was given to me.

So 13 years of daily use and sitting outside in all weathers has taken its toll on the minor, so its time for some welding, a couple of wings and a full respray.[frame]Image[/frame]

The drivers side wings were both really bad especailly the front one, it had been filled round the head lamp way too many times its a wonder it hadnt fallen out! So all the interoir was removed, wings were stripped off in the last few weeks, bumpers off and sill finishers and kick plate to assess what was needing doing.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

There doesnt seem to be anything to daunting to repair, some of the usual minor rust spots as shown above. All 4 inner wings need some attention, front of the passenger side sill and the passenger side crossmember end. Thankfully the floors and chassis legs are still ok. Mechanically its fine as it was MOTed until December 2009.[frame]Image[/frame] Dad had added several gauges and extras so theres some tidying up to do on the wiring and maybe even remove some........

So today was the first day with the grinder out![frame]Image[/frame]Cut back and tidied up,[frame]Image[/frame]After some cardboards templates and tin bashing a reapir peice was made up by Stevey and then I welded it in, not ground down and tidied up as yet.[frame]Image[/frame]
Quite a good days progress I reckon, hopefully a dry day tomorrow and see what else happens :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
minor65
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1961 black 2 door 1000 restoration

Post by minor65 »

good days work, I always liked the reg number, good NI plate.

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

nice neat bit of welding there David, good start.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Not so much progress today, I cleaned down the welding done yesterday and removed the rmaining paint and underseal from the back inner wing and gave it a coat of red primer ready for painting. I then moved on to the front passenger inner wing[frame]Image[/frame]not very nice here :cry:[frame]Image[/frame]from inside.

The welder then decided to start acting up so didnt get much done, Stevey made up one repair section and I did another. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the welder sorted and can get stuck in again while we have this good spring weather.[frame]Image[/frame]Nearly all back to good metal here, the sill end is made up and the end of the sill and as well ready to weld in. The hinge pillar has quite a lot of different section all to repair.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Welder sorted, a new regulator was required. I had a about 2 spare hours today, I welded in the parts made up the other day and started on the bit that the bottom two bolts for the mudgaurd attaches too. A wee bit more done 8) Work tomorrow, then 2 night shifts so will hopefully get back to it about the middle of next week.

Im trying to get my roll over cage back to turn it over to sort the crossmember, it was lent to someone about July :roll: .........

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

So its been a while since I done an update on this, progress has been slow up until this week when I moved up a gear as I have had a week off :D[frame]Image[/frame]new sill end and bit that the wings bolts to[frame]Image[/frame]a coat of primer tidies it up![frame]Image[/frame]WOT, no daylight now!![frame]Image[/frame]flipped over to get at the underneath properly[frame]Image[/frame]a rusty crossmember after a hammer attack :roll:[frame]Image[/frame]I had though the inner sill wasnt too bad, but ended up putting in a new panel[frame]Image[/frame]a bit of a mess now[frame]Image[/frame]lined up and ready to start welding, then the gas ran out and slowed me up for 2 days[frame]Image[/frame]a rare picture of Stevey working 8)[frame]Image[/frame]So new crossmember end fitted, rear inner sill sorted and a shiney coat of black with some extra drain holes bored to hopefully stop it rusting again in the same area[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]The passenger side mostly sorted out, theres a small bit left to do on the bottom of the b post which I will get at when it down on the ground again. Im quite pleased with todays progress, the sill was fitted, crossmember end, repair to the edge of the spring hanger and the rear shackle as well and even painted as well. :D

Next job is another thicker coat of paint and then refit the ps front suspension so it can be let down hopefully next week. The drivers side isnt so bad, the crossmember seems ok at least. I will have to replace the petrol tank, seems quite thin on the bottom and has had some sort of filler repair in the past.

minor65
Minor Addict

Post by minor65 »

Good tidy job, making great progess. That Stevey bloke looks dodgy. :lol: :lol:

kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

Looking good David :D

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

minor65 wrote:That Stevey bloke looks dodgy
well i do try. its looking good great work. soon it'll be time to tackle the drivers side sill.

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Yes, when are you free next week?!?!

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

i seem to have a window on my calender :lol: , should i pencil you in? :D

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

I havent did a lot to this for weeks now, its turned up to the drivers side now awaiting some time to get at the welding again. I spent a wee while yesterday rubbing down at the back wings and now have one in primer.

I did a crazy thing last week and bought another project, so need to get this one finished to get started on it. :o :-?

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

I started on the drivers side back suspension mount this evening, got the rusty bits cut away and made up the repair for the bottom edge. Hopefully will get that bit sorted tomorrow and some more pics :D

minor 62
Minor Friendly

Post by minor 62 »

this very kind gentleman would have had more work done to this minor, only he stopped work on it so he could fit new suspension bushes & adjust the ride height, ( 4 attempts thanks stevie ) on my minor, he even made lunch & wouldnt take a penny off me, this is what being a real club member is all about, cant thank you enough david, oh stevie was there too
thank you
michael
minor 62/67
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Well, Michael did bring buns :D

Heavy rain all day stopped any chance of getting started on the car today and Im back to earing a living tomorrow, so hopefully next week will be drier and Ill get started. To quote Mrs Brown from the comedy Mrs Browns Boys, "Norman and the Ark must have been in Ireland cos it rained for 40 days and 40 nights and thats what we call our summer"....................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QarofaycN3c

kjm
Minor Addict

Post by kjm »

Michael,
i would whole-heartily agree with what you just said , over the years Davids help and friendship have been second to none, and rarely can I do much in return, it was good to meet you on Sunday , maybe see you out at some of the runs ,
David , hope to see this car out at easter .
Kenny. :D

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Entirely agree. :D

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Well now, my head probaby wont fit throught the door tomorrow :D

See you all at the Regional Rally in the morning

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Typical 'Norn Iron' weather has meant that not much more work has been done. The rear shackle hanger is sorted, quarter panel has had a new joddled bottom edge and the rear end of the sill sorted once again. A very small repair was need on the edge of the spring hanger and on the floor were the seats fall which is nearly always a weak spot ( especailly when youve had too many buns......) Started on the crossmember end on Friday evening and have cut all the crud away so hope to do a bit tomorrow. Im off work for a few days so hoping to complete all the welding and get it back on 4 wheels again.[frame]Image[/frame]

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Love that you propped the door up, rather than just removing it. :lol: I suppose you left it on to help keep the shape of the door aperture? You've done some excellent work!
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.