Merlin the traveller restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sparticus
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Merlin the traveller restoration

Post by Sparticus »

Hi all well i have finally gone and started my first ever 'major project'

1970 Traveller with the usual terrible case of rot :(

I have about 95% of the wood ready to go on which an incredibly kind mmoc member gave to me as a second hand set! :D

So far i have, using the haynes restoration manual:

- Removed the rear seat parts
-windows
-back doors
-seat belt bits (Eventually)

I'm now ready to carry on...however i have hit on a major problemo that i just can't work out... It says in the book i need to prise the rop rail off as there is a large unaccesible screw that runs through... How would i go about doing this?![frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by Sparticus on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant, 23, Morris Minor traveller - Saloon. Merlin traveller 90% finished!
DSN Classics

Sparticus
Minor Fan

Re: Merlin - Traveller wood surgery...

Post by Sparticus »

This is the extent of the madness[frame]Image[/frame]
DSN Classics

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Can I suggest you get some boxes and some plastic resealable food bags. As you take parts off label them and file in these.

Things like handles etc can easily get damaged/screws lost, which means you will have to buy new = £

It's not really clear from your picture, but have you removed the arch shaped vinyl covered cover that covers the join between the front cab headlining and the rear?

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Yes i have removed the headlining retaining bar, it says to use a large screwdriver and prose it up...i can't see this working without damaging the roof....
DSN Classics

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Get a thin block of wood to protect the roof just in case the screwdrive slips. It's a pig to get out. Try getting hold of the head with a pair of molegrips if you have any.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Re: Merlin the traveller restoration

Post by Sparticus »

Quick update for you :)

Progress is pretty good...complete rotten side removed leaving some rust in the 'boxing' plate just behind the main cab pillar.
Have the roof off as well so i can move the car more safely! The 'alright' side is still on, only as i cannot get 2 rounded coach bolts out. Any suggestions, i will upload pictures asap!

Safe to say the easy bit is nearly over...the real struggle is yet to come!
DSN Classics

Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame] This section, and the same on the other side are the only bits that i can see which need welding, at the moment :P .

This is how the car stands at the moment...I'm awaiting some welding help. I've ordered some special wood varnish for the frame so should have enough for about 5 coats :D[frame]Image[/frame]
DSN Classics

mach2
Minor Fan

Post by mach2 »

grind a slot in the head of the bolt and use a screwdriver.

looking good though Grant :D

if in doubt give it a clout!
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I've copied this across from the below post (thinking you might miss it there) in the hope it may be of some use to you:

Re: There Are Still Good Value Travellers Out there If You Lucky
by jagnut66 » Thu Mar 07 2013 12:44 pm

Do you think that people prefer travellers having lighter colored wood or heavily varnished?

Hi,
The main thing is to use some preservative to keep the wood in good condition and stop it rotting again. Varnish on it's own is not very good at protecting the wood for long, in fact I would read the other posts (links to some below) on here on wood preservation before you apply anything, in case having read them you decide to use something else.
Personally I'd look at other options to varnish and treat the wood before assembly (so as to get the preservative soaked into all the places that will later be sealed off) but it is your car, so you must decide.
As to colour, I think they were originally light in colour, some obsess about this going so far as to bleach their wood, others like the patternated look with a bit of grain showing and giving it character, I've seen one in a dark mahogany colour, I think that looked more like plastic wood (ugh!) but it's down to personal taste and what you are trying to achieve.
Good luck installing the frame however you choose to shade it.
Best wishes,
Mike.

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... nt#p433695
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... nt#p447645
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... nt#p422106

jagnut66
Minor Addict

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Thanks mach2 :D !

Oh blimey i had missed that jagnut66, thanks for re-posting :D:D:D I've read those pages from the links, very helpful!! I think i will go for the 5 star method then :D
DSN Classics

Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Wood being rubbed down as we speak and have started liberally coating in cuprinol 5 star, soon to followed by Danish oil :D.

Still awaiting some help with the the welding and potentially re-spraying :D
DSN Classics

Romek
Minor Friendly

Post by Romek »

Looking good - mines a similar age and condition - I feel a race coming on :)

I was planning Danish Oil too - although one of these links mentions 'wax being the recommended treatment', I wonder if anyone has any experience of wax vs danish oil?

'69 Traveller project
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Haha game on! Well i'm slowly getting there with the wood. Have stripped the doors of varnish and have liberally coated in cuprinol 5 star, done the same with a few other parts. However the side frames are proving a very time consuming job to remove the million layers of varnish :(

In bodywork news i'm going to get a new set of pattern wings, i can't afford heritage :( , also with the good weather *possibly* here my friends can help with the welding repairs at last :D WOOO

Finally in the mechanical department getting loads of new gaskets etc for oil sealing :)
DSN Classics

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Good luck with the varnish stripping! I'm lucky enough to have a brand new set of wood to treat and fit. sorry to rub it in. I do have a tricky job though with the rear doors as they're an un-assembled ebay purchase so need some careful re-cutting and fitting of the joints to make all the components fit together! Quite important to have good rear doors as I understand you have to use the rear doors to 'square' up the rest of the frame during fitting.

Are you using any manuals? We got the new book by Ray Newell free with our new frame, which was good as its normally £30! It's excellent and there's a step by step guide to restoring a traveller with loads of photos.
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/index.php?key=Regalia&id=140
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1956 Traveller - work in progress

Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

davidpidge wrote:Good luck with the varnish stripping! I'm lucky enough to have a brand new set of wood to treat and fit. sorry to rub it in. I do have a tricky job though with the rear doors as they're an un-assembled ebay purchase so need some careful re-cutting and fitting of the joints to make all the components fit together! Quite important to have good rear doors as I understand you have to use the rear doors to 'square' up the rest of the frame during fitting.

Are you using any manuals? We got the new book by Ray Newell free with our new frame, which was good as its normally £30! It's excellent and there's a step by step guide to restoring a traveller with loads of photos.
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/index.php?key=Regalia&id=140

Hey David thanks..i think i need it, there's so many layers of the stuff! The set i have is a second hand set with the doors so hopefully it shouldn't be too much hassle to fit, touch wood *see what i did there ;) *. I've recently bought that book...i started the rsto using the Haynes resto guide, which is pretty good, but Ray's book is so much clearer!

Can't wait to get bloody reassembling for the national!!! WOOOO
DSN Classics

Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Hi all, apologizes for the absence of posts!

Have been working on the the nearside sill...Which has meant that i now:

- Know how to use a mig welder to an okay level
- basic metal working skills
- Fully understand that red hot metal...is hot ;)

Pictures to follow of the progress so far.

If anyone has any photos of the pillar repairs just behind the sills that would be very handy :D
DSN Classics

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Try Page 10 of Neil MG's Restoration thread

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Thanks very much for the heads up!

Nearly finished the sill repairs! The B post is nearly finished too! Just go to smarten it all up for the finishing touches!
DSN Classics

irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

any new pictures ?
Sparticus
Minor Fan

Post by Sparticus »

Hi all! Sorry for not posting in AGGEESSS been crazy busy with my job so not much time for Merlin.

So at the moment i'm finishing off the drivers sill as you can see in the last photo :D

Have also trial fitted one side of the frame just to satisfy my own curiosity and also that i haven't mucked up the alignment of panels :P.

As soon as the sill is finished and preserved etc i will be stripping the floor paint and sealing then red oxidizing, i will then of course be painting it :D. The wood has had 4 coats of cuprinol 5 star with about 3 coats of danish oil, i will be applying more coats of oil when i can.

So that's where i am at the moment folks :D

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
DSN Classics