1956 2dr Split Screen

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lacey444
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1956 2dr Split Screen

Post by lacey444 »

Hi Everyone,

I have recently bought myself a 1956 Split Screen 1098cc. It came up on EBay and as the seller was only about 15 miles away I thought it was worth a look. Even though it looks pretty tatty the car as a whole is pretty solid with just the odd area of surface rust that will need treating.
It starts, runs and drives well so with that I thought it would be the ideal running restoration.

[imgImage[/img]
[imgImage[/img]

After spending about 3 hours machine polishing and waxing the car it now looks like this :D

[imgImage][/img]
[imgImage[/img]
Last edited by lacey444 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panky
Minor Legend

Re: 1956 1098cc Split Screen

Post by panky »

Quite a transformation :D Drive it as it is 8)
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Re: 1956 1098cc 2dr Split Screen

Post by greendefender123 »

That looks really good. Love the bodywork nice and original! Is it sound underneath? What's your plans for it?

Steve
lacey444
Minor Friendly

Post by lacey444 »

I also love the original look so I will probably leave it looking much the same other than fitting a set of chrome hub caps when they arrive. The seats will need replacing so I will look to change the interior in the next few weeks but that's it cosmetically.
The underside seems very solid but I will get it on a ramp and have a much better look as soon as I can.
Last edited by lacey444 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Oh excellent I shouldn't be feeling jealous as iv got my own project. Make sure you post your progress up. We like lots of pictures. Its also nice to look back on.
lacey444
Minor Friendly

Post by lacey444 »

Since buying the Minor about 10 months ago its just been sat in my garage untouched until now. I have had a good look under the car and there are two areas that will need repairing due to rust. On one side of the boot floor and there is a small hole in the passenger foot well.
I have had no experience with a welder and unfortunately do not have an electricity supply in my garage so will need to take the car somewhere to get this sorted.
The battery was flat as expected so I have put it on charge for the day and I am hoping to hear the car running tomorrow.
I drove the car about 15 miles home from where I bought it but haven't had it on the road since so am keen to get it on the road this summer.

Fingers crossed!
lacey444
Minor Friendly

Re: 1956 2dr Split Screen

Post by lacey444 »

Somebody has just pointed out that my engine has 950 stamped on the side of the engine block although the V5 logbook states 1098cc. Not sure how that has happened...?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Would it not have had an 803cc originally as the 948cc was not fitted until Oct 1956 when the screens were enlarged? Someone could have fitted a 1098 cc at one point and informed the DVLA or had a new engine anyway and was told it was 1098cc when it was in fact 948cc. Superficially difficult to tell.

Looks like Clarendon Grey once polished ? What is the interior like ? I love the bumper mounted indicators - so contemporary and they save the wings. It looks like the front wings my have been replaced at some time as the folded seams are not leaded in.
lacey444
Minor Friendly

Post by lacey444 »

I'm not to sure as I'm quite new to the Minor world. It was registered August 1956.
The interior is quite tatty. The carpet doesn't look too bad and I think it will be ok with a clean. The headlining is also ok but I am definitely going to need to do something with the seats. New ones wouldn't suit the car so I am keeping an eye out for some used ones.

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Passenger seat will clean up nicely with the Woolies kits Cleaner feed and leather paint) They make them look good but not new. if you can get a seat with an intact upright leather facing, it can be patched to the seat on the drivers side as it is bigger than the seat - the padding and seat webbing is also available from woolies. Mine were in a similar state. The vinyl door cars can be rest retched over the cardboard if intact and cleaned with woolies vinyl cleaner. The inside colour looks to be lighter grey but may be faded. Colour is decipherable from the number on the bulkhead in the engine bay. Keep us updated and good luck!

jm