Clarence 2 door 62 saloon

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Clarence 2 door 62 saloon

Post by kevin s »

Unfortunatelly it's something you are going keep finding as you progress, many of the panels out there do not match the original construction seeming to originate from the quick patch up " to mot standards" days and may need modifying, others are simply wrong and don't fit!

All in all I find it just another part of the challenge though.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Retosaga is James from Comber in County Down. We got in touch via this forum as he had another PZ registered car the only a few numbers away from Stevies! It was a great resto as well.

edit,
I found James resto on the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48596

Too many Minors so little time.....
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Thanks David for clearing that up. It was the PZ reg that made me think it was one of yours. As you say a great restoration. May I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year. I look forward to more of your posts.
Richard
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Just to update that all is well in my life. I've been very busy with family things, new boiler being fitted and new shower room have meant that Clarence has not seen much of me since December. I am now tutoring on a Community Responder course at end of April so busy preparing for that and so its going to be May before I get back to Clarence and continue the restoration. Thanks for all the views and I look forward to more updates and pics in the near future. Richard
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

:D having spent the last six months working on various things I was starting to lack confidence in getting back to working on Clarence. I have spent a lot of evenings reading thro lots of your posts and getting ready to do some more on him, or maybe procrastinating? With holiday looming in July I really needed to get going :o Spent yesterday tidying up and sorting garage and materials out. Listening to radio they played " I got my Mojo working" I took this as a sign as I felt that I've got My mojo back and cracking on. Today was spent lining up the repair panels for front lh inner wing, flitch panel and replacement door post. All old metal cut away and welding areas cleaned and coated with weld thro primer ready for welding in new panels tomorrow. :lol: more updates and photos to follow soon.
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Well, 18 months later two major home projects that had to be done so no progress untill today. Usual thing, tidy up the garage, sort out the ESM repair panels and get ready to start welding again. Looking forward to some more posts soon :D
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

That's how it goes, life getting in the way! Thought I was nearly there with my Traveller last August, moved on to a few other jobs and here I am in February starting again. It's taken several days just to work out exactly what I intended when I started my supplementary wiring additions...

Mark
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Hi all, help needed please.
I have inner rear wing panel RP127 to fit and Rear arch repair flange RP159 to fit. The panel needs some 'fettling' but is there a correct order to fit these? How does the curved 'lip' round the top edge of the panel link to the repair flange.
Ive also to fit RP138rear spring hanger repair section.
I'm assuming the panel goes in first but the fitting of the flange seems to determine where the panel goes.
Ive tried loading a couple of photos but theyre not loading.
Thanks in advance. Richard
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Further to last post couple of pics hopefully showing the issues i have.
Lip on new inner repair panel
Lip on new inner repair panel
DSC_0147.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2439 times
Attachments
Showing rear inner panel cutaway
Showing rear inner panel cutaway
DSC_0144.JPG (2.22 MiB) Viewed 2439 times
Repair flange on new wing
Repair flange on new wing
DSC_0149.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2439 times
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Hi all,
Just to update progress on Clarence. Managed to sort out fitting of inner rear wing and repair flange after much 'fettling' and head scratching. With courage building attacked the front rear spring hanger replacing with new, then moved forward to the left hand chassis leg which has had its day (see photo) Really surprised the difference from the right hand one which is solid as a rock. Front cross member replaced as was the left hand tie plate.
Having been grinding and cleaning up welds spent today in major clean up and preparing to upright Clarence ready to replace right hand rear wheel arch and flange.
Spent most evenings this week reading lots of your posts in Restoration getting lots of tips and looking at loads of your photos. It really is helpful for someone like me to see how others have done similiar jobs on their Morris Minors. Thank you.
A shout out to ESM, not too far from where I am in Eastbourne, really helpful with my last couple of orders and so quick at getting them del'd the next day. Great service and so grateful they've managed to be open in the current situation.
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

new chassis tie plate and cross member fitted
new chassis tie plate and cross member fitted
DSC_0029 (1).JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 2386 times
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Sorry, couldnt get photo of old chassis leg loaded for some reason, probably my lack of it skills :roll:
Also looking at the photo ive managed to post I should say the chassis legs and body are all as they should be the picture looks like its twisted. I used my lazer level to form centre line horizontally then all measurements were taken before cutting away old chassis leg. The lazer also has a vertical beam which gave a second point of reference for measuring and checking placements.
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

So today I spent sorting out my 'spares' shed ready for ESM delivery tomorrow. Turned spit over so car now upright, Temporary fit of nearside front and back wings plus passenger door. All lined up perfectly, pity theyre not staying on!! Tomorrow put axle stands back under and make secure then hopefully repair 1/4 panel on nearside and start cutting out rear offside inner wing and rear spring hanger area ready for replacement parts.
Just found and read David McCullough's post starting in 2011 and finishing in 2017.
Thats really encouraged me as I had nearly a 2 year break and was wondering if I would ever get to finish 'Clarence; Still a long way to go.
Slow and steady etc.
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Carried on with cutting out rotten boot area and fitting repair panels. Had to make up some repair pieces where the surround to the petrol tank was rotten. Finished the fitting of repair pieces inside boot area where the bodywork surrounding the wing was rusted away. Chose to fit pieces inside the boot rather than outside as there was more metal to weld to.
Attachments
inside boot area showing repair pieces to support wing repair flange and make up lost rotten bodywork on arch round wing/ Planning to smooth with body filler to give smooth finish
inside boot area showing repair pieces to support wing repair flange and make up lost rotten bodywork on arch round wing/ Planning to smooth with body filler to give smooth finish
DSC_0045.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2208 times
inner wing replaced with much Fettling to get it to fit together with repair flange. The wing fits nearly perfectly.
inner wing replaced with much Fettling to get it to fit together with repair flange. The wing fits nearly perfectly.
DSC_0048.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 2208 times
1/4 panel was temporarily fitted and lined up with cill <br />finishing rails rear wing door and front wing then welded in
1/4 panel was temporarily fitted and lined up with cill
finishing rails rear wing door and front wing then welded in
DSC_0049.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2208 times
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Should say petrol tank was put back temporarily In shed when welding going on :roll:
Richie B
Minor Friendly

Post by Richie B »

Should say petrol tank was put back temporarily In shed when welding going on :roll: