my baby is gone :(...and now found!!! yippeeee

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Dean »

That's ok, at least you can say you had the pleasure of owning a Moggy at some point. The moggy will always be around for when your interest and finances suit, unfortunately the modern car though won't have the same appeal as a classic car. :)
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - ANY newer 'modern' car will cost much more to run than a Minor. Free Road Tax and Classic Insurance means that my Minor stands on the road for £105 per year - thats £70 insurance and £35 MOT. There is NO depreciation - it's easily worth what i paid for it 8 years ago (probably a good bit more) and spare parts are ridiculously cheap. An old Ka/Clio/Punto/Polo etc will cost much more to run - and you won't be able to do much work on it yourself. And when it breaks down (don't worry - it WILL) the garage bills will be huge. And it will depreciate faster than a stone falling from the Eiffel Tower!
But - it's your choice!
ImageImage
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

Totally agree with you ecosse my daily 'modern' car used to cost more then the Minor to keep on the road in fact after I finish restoring the Minor it will be back as my daily driver! work your sums well Amy many persons who are not in the classic car scene don't know the real benefit of owning a classic!

grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

i will agree with that get a morris or most classic cars and they dont cost a lot but as i have said before my daghuters car a ka has cost nothing other than run of the mill such as exhaust tyres discs . its up to you amy ,, grandad
Luxobarge
Minor Fan

Post by Luxobarge »

grumpygrandad wrote:my daghuters car a ka has cost nothing other than run of the mill such as exhaust tyres discs . its up to you amy ,, grandad
Surely it has depreciated?

Depreciation is BY FAR the biggest cost of running a modern car - usually several orders of magnitude higher than tax, insurance, servicing etc. and often even more than fuel. A fact that is curiously ignored by an awful lot of people.

I'm shortly to be buying a Minor, and if I add it to my existing classic policy, if I discount fuel, it will cost about £90 per year to run, including everything else. Motoring just doesn't come any cheaper eh? :D :D :D
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Correct. Wife is just selling her Freelander. Its dropped 2.5K in just over 12 months. Cost her £400 + to tax and insure each year and cost £180 to get through an MOT. So in 12 months, discounting fuels its cost a total of £3080.00 !!!!
She now has her little Moggie which cost £1000 to buy and is £62.50 a year to insure. Road tax free and it just sailed through an MOT with no work required.... The Moggie will still be worth £1000 in 10 years time if looked after properly. As you say - It don't get any cheaper than that :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Just a quick observation, what price do we put on reliability? Is a classic as reliable as most modern cars? Most accept the depreciation of a new car due to the fact you don't really have to touch them for the first four or five years apart from servicing.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

that right my daughters ka is nearly 8 years old not costmuch at all we nothat this will change proably next test which is due this month but we shall see. we think it has been an exceptional car, the engine is 1300 old fiesta with injectionand still does not rattle as some of the fiestas do .main draw back is boor room and internal storage .but we certanly would have another ,i think rust will kill it eventualy.at least no so diffiult to weld as a morris can be, grandad
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

hmm I think it's down to likes then, I have a 95 Skoda Felicia depreciation hit it hard, rust not yet! but when a post 80s car starts to rust beware of it!! panels are thin and warp very easily with welding I think a moggy is far easier to weld and work on even panels are easy to replace some modern car you have to remove lots of wiring and dismantle half a car to reach a certain panel!

Anyway so it's up to you Amy if Morries are your likes I think you should go for it after all it's your money ( I think :D) and your life I'd have a Minor everyday with the parts availability and cheap parts! (and I still find them cheap including postage to Malta)

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Dean wrote:Just a quick observation, what price do we put on reliability? Is a classic as reliable as most modern cars? Most accept the depreciation of a new car due to the fact you don't really have to touch them for the first four or five years apart from servicing.
The minor may not be as reliable as modern cars, however when it does break down it usually turns out to be a lot cheaper to fix so thus still works out better then a slightly more reliable modern car
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

benmagoo
Minor Friendly

Post by benmagoo »

Sidney'61 wrote:
Dean wrote:Just a quick observation, what price do we put on reliability? Is a classic as reliable as most modern cars? Most accept the depreciation of a new car due to the fact you don't really have to touch them for the first four or five years apart from servicing.
The minor may not be as reliable as modern cars, however when it does break down it usually turns out to be a lot cheaper to fix so thus still works out better then a slightly more reliable modern car
Unreliable?

Any A-series on a clean single carb, copper head gasket and electronic ignition will go on - go on - go on - go on - go on - go on - go on - go on - go on - go on - go on - go on - go on.

The whole reliability / running thing against modern cars really gets me - the worst comment I find is: "yeah but you don't go far in it do you?"

Why the hell not? just two weekends ago Moggie Magoo managed 50 mpg! on a 200 mile run down the A1 to brands hatch and back!

Classics all the way - don't be tempted by the dark side - it can only lead to ruin :D
[sig]8373[/sig]
Dominic
Minor Addict

Post by Dominic »

Only 200 miles? I regularly make 600-700 mile journeys over a weekend in mine! The key to reliability is of course regular servicing, and a Morris does need more attention.
Owns: Skoda Citigo
1968 Morris Minor Convertible[sig]3739[/sig]
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

just got the latest minor matters through the post and theres a moggie in devon for £600, taxed and MOT'd, so i think i'll go and have a look at theat next weekend!!

dont know what i was thinking when i said i would get a modern car...was in a weird mind set.

on the surch again :)

amy xXx
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Hooray! :D
grumpygrandad
Minor Addict

Post by grumpygrandad »

lookafter your money till you find one a good buy will turn up,, grandad
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

lookafter your money till you find one a good buy will turn up
Well said that man.

I've been in both mindsets myself over the years:
1. Itching to get another Minor only to find enthusiasm has got the better of me and I've landed myself with a Money pit
2. Happy to Bide my time and ultimately found the bargain of the century.

No 2 may not look like it will ever come along but then does it ever look like the sun could come out when the clouds are thick?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

good decision in my opinion Amy if it's a Minor you want then get a Minor :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It'll be gone by the week-end. Just phone up and take it!
ImageImage
amy
Minor Friendly

Post by amy »

ust found this on e-bay...iv fallen in love with it but i dont have a trailor and it doesnt have an MOT :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Morris-Minor-1000 ... 286.c0.m14
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Errr - it sounds like a very serious resto project!
" Just the usual suspension hangers and seat belt mounts " Don't touch it unless you have a welding machine and a course on welding all lined up!
What happened to the 'Minor Matters' car you were looking at ?
Here's a much better prospect http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=008
And here's another - needs very little to finish it off - looks like a great buy, but I appreciate not very handy for you. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORRIS-MINOR-1000 ... 286.c0.m14
You will be lucky to find the car you want on your doorstep!
ImageImage