Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
benwall101
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

fuel catalyst

Post by benwall101 »

Hi
are the catalyst's any good for lead replacment?

Thanks
Ben
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Re: fuel catalyst

Post by chrisd87 »

Assuming you mean the 'bag of tin balls in the tank' or in-line type, then they're almost universally regarded as snake oil. If you want to use some form of additive, it'd be better to stick to FBHVC approved products (most use Castrol Valvemaster).
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Eh? Would help a lot if you explained things a bit better. A catalyst makes a chemical reaction 'speed up'.

Unless you're on about catalytic converters? Not that they matter to a Minor anyway unless someone has fitted one to go with an unleaded head. :lol: :roll:
benwall101
Minor Friendly

Post by benwall101 »

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Never heard of it to be honest. Sounds interesting though.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

I'm fairly sure what he's talking about is nothing to do with catalytic converters!

There are several 'fuel catalyst' devices on the market that are supposed to magically replace the lead in petrol and stop valve seat recession, etc. They seem to either come in the form of a bag of metallic pellets that you drop into the fuel tank, or an in-line thingy fitted between the fuel pump and carb. As I said, they're almost universally regarded as snake oil, and none have FBHVC approval.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Re the link to CW: An unleaded 'device' at £89.50? Hmm. I'll pass on that one, thanks... :o

Old cars which have ran on leaded for practically all their lives have a 'lead memory' which has been built up over time, making any additive unnecessary unless you cane the engine a lot at high speed.

An additive worth considering is a 1:100 mix of 2-stroke oil in the tank which can't do any harm apart from decoking more often.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You don't NEED any unleaded additive etc (and certainly not a 'bag of old balls') - just set the exhaust valve gaps to 15 thou and check /reset every 3000 miles.
ImageImage
dylann

Post by dylann »

I have used a catalyst in my Triumph Spitfire 1500 for some years without any additive. I can only say that since I started, the engine no longer runs on, starts easier and seems to run more smoothly. Whether it stops recession of the valves I cannot say.
I know that it is said that its all snake oil and it is possible and probable that some products are useless but it is a fact that, during the Second World War a platinum catalyst was used in some aircraft because not enough aviation fuel of the proper octane rating could be produced.
Catalysts do not change themselves or add anything to the fuel. They act by causing a change in the structure of the material they are in contact with.
David Sharp
Minor Friendly

Post by David Sharp »

Definitely snake oil.The only effect these "wonders" have is purely psychological !
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

chrisd87 wrote:Assuming you mean the 'bag of tin balls in the tank' or in-line type, then they're almost universally regarded as snake oil. If you want to use some form of additive, it'd be better to stick to FBHVC approved products (most use Castrol Valvemaster).
I tried snake oil once, I got an irresistable urge to eat live mice and shed my skin :wink:
Where angels fear to tread
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

If your Spitfire tank has a bag of platinum dangling in the petrol, I suggest you may have a very valuable car :D
In amongst all the "snake oil" statements from non-users, there remains the occasional positive statement from users who have noticed tangeable benefits from using these (tin amalgam?) pellets. If your vehicle ran-on before, and now doesn't, and ifb] nothing else has altered, then the pellets must be doing something! As we are far more likely to moan than to praise, I am happy to give them a try, especially as they have a money-back guarantee!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

My car doesn't run on /idles nicely etc etc - and it doesn't have a bag of balls/'catalyst'/additives/unleaded head. Am I missing out on the fun ???? :lol: :roll: :roll: It's all a load of nonsense........ :wink:
ImageImage