Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Starter Problem

Post by philthehill »

Only too happy to help.
Unfortunately Bendix spring compressors do not come up for sale on 'e' bay that often and I have not been able to find a supplier for a new spring compressor though someone on here may be able to provide a source of new Bendix spring compressors.
I bought my Sykes Pickavant bendix spring compressor many years ago and whilst it is not used on a regular basis it is an important part of my tool kit.
Looking again on 'e' bay here is another:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inertia-Start ... SwNZtZx8v8
Phil

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Thanks Phil
I'd actually already bid on that one but when you mentioned about different sizes (and this one doesn't mention the size) I thought I'd bid for the first one you suggested. So I've now got the opening bid on both of them albeit, fortunately, only a small amount on both.
Dave
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Transposing the diameter of the central hole to the tape in the photo it appears to be the same size as the 376 which is 28.5mm.
If no other bids materialise and you do win the auction on the spring compressor without any details you will be alright at that low price.
Phil

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Thanks Phil. I'll monitor the price and see what happens.
davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Well, I was successful in winning the spring compressor on ebay so have now partly dismantled the bendix. As you can see from the photos it was quite corroded. I have cleaned it up but there are still some gouges on it. With the main spring off I tried pushing the barrel against the spring along the shaft. When I let go it sprang back quickly so the spring appeared to be reasonably strong. However, when I put the spiral sleeve on and tried twisting against the spring it didn't return with anything like the same vigour. I'm not sure if this is resistance between the sleeve and the barrel or that the spring just isn't strong enough. Maybe I should take the barrel apart but I can't see how to do that. Any suggestions on what to do or how to take it apart would be appreciated.
Dave
Attachments
After.JPG
After.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 3486 times
Before 2.JPG
Before 2.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 3486 times
Before 1.JPG
Before 1.JPG (2 MiB) Viewed 3486 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Well done for winning the 'e' bay bid on the Bendix spring compressor.
The barrel does not come apart. The end is swaged over the centre part and cannot be dismantled without destroying the barrel.
I would put it all back together lightly lubricated and use it to start the engine. All it needs is use and it will become better the more it is used.
Clean the Bendix and shaft of oil if you are going to use it as normal.
If you are still not happy with the action of the Bendix the only action is to purchase a new Bendix assy or find a useable item and use that.
Phil

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Thanks Phil. In a previous post you mentioned the possibility of changing the spring. I assume that would have been possible if I'd had a different type of barrel?
Dave
davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Sorry Phil. Just read your post again. And it's clear my last question was superfluous.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst I have never had need to do it - looking at the Bendix barrel it appears possible to wind the return spring (Pt No: listed in my link above) out and wind in a new return spring.
Phil

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

That's an interesting thought. I can certainly feel the spring inside the barrel with my finger. I may try that if it doesn't work when I bolt it back on. Thanks again
davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

I'm now able to turn over the engine with the starter motor (not run, just turn over) so I thought I'd try out my new compression tester. However, although it looks the same size and thread as the plugs I cannot screw it into the plug holes. It will start to bite but after a partial turn it gets very tight. I'm loathe to force it for fear of damaging the thread in the head. I've tried putting some oil on the thread but to no avail. I know it's not easy to put it in squarely because you have to turn the rubber pipe and the gauge at the same time (why on earth don't they split it in half so you put a shorter piece in the plug hole first?) but I have been careful and tried it in all 4 plug holes with the same result. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Attachments
Compression tester problem.JPG
Compression tester problem.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3302 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It appears from your photo that the thread on the compression gauge has not been formed correctly.

The correct thread should be 14mm x 1.25.

If it does not fit correctly take/send it back and get a replacement.

The threads on both of my compression testers are much sharper in form and easily screw into the 'A' Series head.
Comparing the threads on the plug with the compression tester tube it can be seen that the plug threads are much sharper.

Strangely one of my compression testers has the Shrader valve in the bottom of the tube and the other does not even though they are the same make and model.

You can get compression tester that can both screw into the plug hole or be held against the plug hole.
For example:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Compre ... 0009.m1982

Absolute accuracy is not required - it is more important to be able to compare cylinder compressions.

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Thanks Phil. I was hoping someone would say that - I thought the same but thought a good make like draper wouldn't allow a poor thread past QA. I'll dig out the paperwork - wish I'd bought it locally now rather than from ebay.
Dave
davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

I just thought - there's an 18mm adaptor with it. I tried screwing it on and it fits easily and perfectly, which suggests the thread is fine. Phil, you mentioned the size is 14 x 1.25. I assume the 1.25 is the depth. Could it be that this is less than that and thus it isn't suitable? I've attached a photo of the compression tester.
Attachments
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG (1.95 MiB) Viewed 3291 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The 1.25 is the metric equivalent of imperial TPI (threads per inch).
Before I posted I did check the threads on both compression gauges against the metric thread gauge and the 14mm plug thread chaser and all were 14mm x 1.25.
I have also a PRESTO 14mm spark plug tap which is marked 14mm x 1.25.
I doubt that the cylinder head plug threads are damaged or different to 14mm x 1.25.
The threads in the head may be clogged with carbon and that is what is part causing the problem.
Examining the threads on the compression testers and the 14mm thread chaser/14mm tap the threads are much sharper than those on your compression tester.
I have the 18mm and 10mm adapters for my Gunson's compression testers (same as your Draper) and they screw onto the main body of the tester without any problem.
To clean the plug threads in the head if you do not have the appropriate tap - file a flat on an old plug/or 14mm x 1.25 bolt, grease the threads and screw into the head. The flat will clean the threads without cutting them and the grease will pick up any crap created.
This is what you need to clean the spark plug threads - I have a similar item but 14mm/10mm.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spark-Plug-R ... Swb69Z2zF7

davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Thanks Phil. I've ordered the tap you suggested. Sometimes there's just no logic. The 18mm adaptor comfortably screws onto the tester. The plug comfortably screws into the adaptor but the tester won't screw into the head despite the fact the plug screws into it comfortably. Ill try and keep smiling.
Dave
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Trickydicky »

It's also handy to keep a thread file in the toolbox, they can get you out of trouble :lol:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-threa ... QADXMRyMBw
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
davecopp
Minor Friendly

Post by davecopp »

Thanks Richard. Sounds like a possible Christmas present.
Dave
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thread files are good to have. Even though I have a large selection of taps and dies of all descriptions I sometimes have to fall back to using a thread file.
The old adage that you can never have too many tools rings absolutely true :D

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

There is a better solution to this problem which one of the guys on the MG website posted yesterday.
It comes with super glue!

Regards
Declan
Attachments
Champion_spark_plug.jpeg.jpg
Champion_spark_plug.jpeg.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 3233 times

Regards
Declan