Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
westy24
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rear damper referb

Post by westy24 »

Hi all . Are there any tips on refurbishing the rear dampers.? Are there any kits ? And what oil is best used in them? How do I know if there any good ?
Attachments
IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG (2.81 MiB) Viewed 880 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear damper referb

Post by philthehill »

I would suggest that unless you have the skills/tools it would be better to buy new ESM units.
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/rear-s ... ec-p831345
To check your rear original dampers for serviceability - leave the damper on the car remove the link and operate the lever arm up and down. If the damper is serviceable there will be considerable resistance against moving the lever arm. The resistance loading should be the same either side.
As regards oil for use in the damper - straight 30 SAE grade oil is good. Drain the old oil before filling with replacement oil.
I note that ESM sell 25% upgraded dampers for not much more than the standard ones.

westy24
Minor Fan

Post by westy24 »

Hi thanks for the reply, sadly I'm no where near fitting them to the car, and the car is in no fit state to fit them to try this ,(Barrie's project -- in restoration section )I think il buy new ones, but il take the old ones to work to see if I can test them somehow before I get my money out again ! Thanks again .
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

If they are off the car then put them in a big vice or workmate ( wrapped in some old rag to protect the metalwork ) standing up right with the arm free to move and clamp it up good and firm. Then it is just like Phil says , work the arm , up and down , looking for equal resistance up and down.
If it's reaction is reasonably OK and the oil in the dampers smells a bit strong , it's probably been in there for some considerable time. Some fresh oil ,after draining out the old , might breathe some life back into the damper.
Bob
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The rear dampers are not mounted upright.
They are mounted at an angle and therefore need to be mounted in the vice or workmate at the same angle as when on the car.
See BMC Workshop Manual - Section L - Fig L5 for the correct mounting angle when checking and/or filling and Section L3 for filling.
Phil