Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mobylette
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Gearbox support

Post by mobylette »

I will shortly be extracting the engine from my Minor, and I am aware that I need to support the gearbox with a jack to stop it dropping. Once the engine is out, I will need to move the car. Is there an accepted method to support the box from above, some sort of strap from the bell-housing to the body?
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Gearbox support

Post by les »

Yes support it from above somehow, for example, piece of timber across the two wings

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

A piece of wood of adequate size/strength placed across and on top of the front dampers and a strap/rope from the wood to the bell housing. A suitable shackle with its bolt through the top bell housing hole will be perfect.
Remove engine supporting gearbox with a jack - secure the gearbox as above and then remove the jack.
The car can then be moved around at will and the bonnet can be closed.
Last edited by philthehill on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Excellent advice, thanks all. I will post a picture of my suspended gearbox presently.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I use a small ratchet strap that I thread through the channel under the battery tray, and loop under the gearbox. I have left the car like that for weeks and can roll it around a treat. It also makes slotting the engine back easier at it gives some some wiggle to the gearbox to assist with getting it lined up, not pinging the clutch cover apart ! plus it dosent get in the way.
Attachments
2014-11-16 11.38.14.jpg
2014-11-16 11.38.14.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 955 times