Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

steering column plastic bush

Post by LaughingBoy »

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove and replace the upper felt bush between the inner and outer steering columns? I am going to try and fit the standard replacement (Part # GSV1095) which is the mini plastic bush, but it does not look like it is split so I am wondering if it fits over the horn metal 'ring' on the upper part of the column? I am hoping I can just remove the steering wheel and indicator stalk and mechanism and just slide the new bush over the top of the column and down in between the inner & outer columns.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: steering column plastic bush

Post by firedrake1942 »

When I did mine (1957) it was about 20 years ago. - Steering wheel off, undo bolts under dash, disconnect sleeve / trafficator wires slide sleeve up column. felt bush just pulled out. New one went in easily - Upper and lower are simply squares of felt bent round I do recall lightly oiling the felt once reassembled, (?)

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/31 ... e-size=all

There are other threads on the forum on this which confirm oil afterwards

viewtopic.php?t=10848
LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly

Post by LaughingBoy »

Thanks for the info.

I have managed to prise/winkle the old felt bush out and see no problem fitting a new felt one. But I don't see how the Mini plastic bush (which is recommended as a better replacement) can be fitted over the top of the column and slid down as the horn wiring contact ring is too wide - see attached pic. I am not sure if the contact ring and insulating rubber underneath can be slid off and removed to allow the new bush to be put in but I am a little relcutant to try!
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG (49.55 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

There is a two part plastic ring under the brass collar one of which holds the horn contact. You also will have to remove the self cancelling nut and screw. Fit the felt and save the hassle!

LaughingBoy
Minor Friendly

Post by LaughingBoy »

Yes indeed! Just reaching the same conclusion ...
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I put a new felt pad in my column, and it actually felt worse after, even more play in the wheel.

The plastic bush is easy to fit, if you carefully bend the fingers out on the horn ring it will slide off, and allow the two part plastic piece to come away. You will need to remove the circlip, spring and sleeve from the end of the column as well so you can thread the wire down that goes to the horn push.

When you refit it bend the fingers of the horn ring back first so it just springs into place.

Good lug of white grease in the new plastic bush when fitted.

Well worth doing and won't take you too long, while at the column it is worth checking the pinch bolt where the column meets the rack is tight.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Biomed, did you oil the felt bushes. The oil makes the felt expand in the sleeve and makes for fairly tight fit. You know when it needs re-oiling as the squeaks start and there is a small amount of play.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Yes, I did leave it in a pot of EP90 for at least 24 hours, but there was still a great deal of movement.

Quite disconcerting feeling the wheel move about like that, the nylon Mini bush in the top cured all and it feels great now.

Perhaps I had a duff piece of felt ?.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I must admit having seen the flattened out felt for sale on various sites, it looked much thinner than the bit I put in mine years ago. I wonder of the trick is to put the felt in and then oil it, this allowing it to expand against something -just a thought.
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I installed the Mini bush. It's a big improvement and well worth the effort - the steering wheel feels much more solid and even takes a little less force to turn (not that the Minor needs lighter steering than it has...).
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Who needs power steering when you drive a proper car! :lol:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst I have never felt the need to replace the bush with a polythene bush here is the part number and link:-

http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... ts_id=5803