Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
markandsuefoss
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Steering squeak

Post by markandsuefoss »

My steering has developed a squeak coming from the top of the column which I am told means that a felt bush needs oiling. Does that sound right? To do this I have been told to remove the steering wheel, but if anyone could explain exactly what I do I'd be grateful. Should the bush be replaced?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Steering squeak

Post by philthehill »

The bush at the top of the steering column ex factory is felt and should be oiled occasionally.
Sometimes a nylon Mini steering column bush may be fitted but is not a necessity if the felt bush is looked after.
You do not have to remove the steering wheel to lubricate only the indicator lever shroud (if fitted). When the indicator shroud has been removed squirt some engine oil onto the top of the column outer tube/felt wiping away any excess and then refit the indicator shroud.
Check the tightness of the pinch bolt at the bottom of the column.
You may be able to do the job this way but is dependent upon which type of indicator switch has been fitted - slacken the clamp bolts (cross headed screws and domed nuts) that hold the column to the mounting bracket. Push the column outer sleeve down which will give access to the felt bush which can then be oiled. Assemble in the reverse order.
Again check the pinch bolt.

markandsuefoss
Minor Friendly

Post by markandsuefoss »

Thanks for that. I have a late car and I can't see how, having removed the three screws, I would remove the indicator shroud without first removing the steering wheel. It would have to come off the top of the column. If I did remove the wheel, what size is the nut? It larger than any of my sockets - I guess a large box spanner would be ideal.

Strangely there is a jubilee clip around the steering column - I guess to hold the outer sleeve. Is that normal? It certainly doesn't look original.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I have no idea how Phil removes the shroud without taking the steering wheel off first either :wink: Perhaps he can tell us his secret?
I haven't seen a Jubilee clip on mine either so I have no idea what that is about!
Sorry, I don't know the size of the steering wheel nut offhand - it must be listed here somewhere if you do a search?
Good luck anyway.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

An 1" 5/16 socket fits the steering wheel nut - also fits the camshaft sprocket nut so a useful addition.

Not sure where a jubilee clip comes in, certainly not original. I don't see anyway of getting that shroud off without removing the wheel either.

Removing the two screws from the mounting clamp securing the column to the dash, and then sliding the outer around runs the risk of messing up the horn contact that runs on the slip ring.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst I agree that you cannot remove totally the later shroud without first removing the steering wheel - removing the three chrome screws will allow the shroud to be (re)-moved sufficiently to give enough wiggle room to allow an oil can spout to get to the felt bush for lubrication.
As regards moving the column outer tube downwards to gain access to the felt bush it can be done if you are careful.

If you do purchase a socket for the steering wheel / camshaft nut purchase a 6 point/flat impact socket.
Both nuts are thin and having a 12 point socket it is more likely to slip and damage the nut and possibly yourself.
Please do not use a chisel to undo and tighten the nut. Tightening the nut with a chisel - it will be impossible ensure that the nut is adequately tightened.
Most sockets have a concave bottom end and again because the steering wheel and camshaft nuts are thin that concave needs to be removed which can be done with a disc grinder and the bottom face polished up before use.
I have recently purchased the socket in the link below and removed the concave especially for the thin Morris Minor steering wheel nut and camshaft nut.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Impact-So ... 2749.l2649

markandsuefoss
Minor Friendly

Post by markandsuefoss »

Thank you all for replies - that all makes sense. I might just remove the steering wheel because I can't visualize what the top of the steering column looks like until I've seen it. I mean I can't imagine where to squirt the oil. I'm assuming the socket won't fit over the horn spring and that I'll have to remove that and the washer and circlip that holds it in place. Is there a torque setting for tightening the nut or just tight-ish?
markandsuefoss
Minor Friendly

Post by markandsuefoss »

So I got the socket and the job was much easier than I expected. Once the steering wheel was off and the indicator shroud was removed I could see the felt bush. There is no play in the column and the bush looked OK from the top, so I oiled it, let it soak in for a couple of hours and then repeated the process three times. All went back together OK, but still squeaks. Any advice?
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

If you have the later type of indicator mechanism, I think it could be the horn connection which is part of that mechanism.

The parts I refer to are a brass sleeve on the column and a contact fixed to the indicator mechanism. That contact is a flat spring-metal arm with a copper rubbing block at the end that contacts (and therefore makes an electrical connection with) the brass sleeve.

I have seen a number of the static contacts where the copper rubbing block has broken off or has worn away completely. This means that the spring metal makes contact with the brass sleeve. If this is the case with your car, I think it could explain the squeak.

Regards
Don
markandsuefoss
Minor Friendly

Post by markandsuefoss »

Thanks for that Don - I see what you mean. The rubbing block is pretty worn but the spring metal arm isn't making contact with the brass sleeve and so I don't think that's the cause. To confirm this I gently lifted the arm away from the sleeve whilst turning the steering wheel and the squeak was still there. I've oiled the bush again and big movements of the wheel are more or less silent but its on small movements that the squeak occurs. Like when you turn a gentle bend. It sounds more like a squeal of plastic than metal.