Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Rack bottom pinion seal.

Post by midget »

Have received a recon rack from supplier and after painting (properly) I disturbed the "wooly" bottom seal. I believe that these were felt originally,so is there a better substitute that I could use. Wish I had kept the old one before exchange if I knew what was being supplied.
I dont see the use of this part. Any thoughts?
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Rack bottom pinion seal.

Post by philthehill »

John

The wooly / felt seal Pt No: ACA5261 is the pinion seal and is required to stop oil leaking from the rack pinion and dirt getting into the rack.
If I remember correctly it also stops the draught / damp from passing into the drivers foot well.

Phil
Last edited by philthehill on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Ah, correct material then. Thanks Phil--live and learn!
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
The last paragraph of Section J6 of the BMC wksp manual refers to the felt pinion seal.
Phil

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Correct--and it does state felt, although mine is an early Issue 6 manual. Was this wooly material an upgrade?
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
I can find no mention of an upgrade either in the 1/4 ton LCV parts list AKD559 third edition or in the Minor Wksp Man AKD530L issue 6, or AKD530 fourteenth edition.
The parts lists (MOSS included) do not differentiate between a lip seal and felt seal they just list seal Pt No ACA5261.
If I can find my spare rack I will then be able to confirm the type of seal fitted.
Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I think the material is similar to the felt packer that wraps around the steering column at the top.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
Having now examined my spare rack - you are correct in that the seal (Pt No: ACA5261) is felt and the same material as the steering column top bush.

John
The felt seal is part recessed into the rack pinion housing and is of a large enough OD (25.8mm) so as to provide two functions:-

1...........To stop dirt and damp getting into the rack pinion
2...........To stop damp and dirt entering the drivers foot-well.

So long as the felt is kept lubricated with oil I do not see any need to replace it with a lip seal. Also the lip seal would not provide a seal between rack and drivers foot-well.
Photos of rack pinion seal and pinion housing below:-

Phil
Attachments
steering rack 2.JPG
steering rack 2.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 1831 times
steering rack 1.JPG
steering rack 1.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 1831 times
steering rack 3.JPG
steering rack 3.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1831 times

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks for effort Phil. Are these FELT seals,top and bottom, identical in size then? You did mention that they were same part no?
As I did originally ask for a substitute/similar material. I haven't had my column to bits yet so want to get the rack in before fitting.
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
I cannot see where I mentioned that the steering rack felt pinion seal and the felt steering column bush are the same part number only that they are made from the same material (see my reply to Les above) - are we at cross purposes as regards steering rack and steering column? - but to clarify:-
The top steering column bearing (Pt No: ACA5297) and the pinion seal Pt No: ACA 5261) are made from the same material i.e. felt - but are of different shape and do different jobs.
The top steering column bearing is a piece of flat diamond shaped felt which is wrapped around the steering column shaft and supports the shaft inside the steering column tube. There is another diamond shaped felt bearing (Pt No: ACA5398) inside of the lower part of the steering column tube.
As regards a substitute for the pinion felt seal (Pt No: ACA5261) there is no substitute seal that will do the two functions being asked of it.
Even the Mini and 1100 have a similar pinion seal (Pt No: 21A30) to the felt seal but made out of a foam type material.
As regards a substitute for the felt steering column top bush I understand from posts on this web site that the polythene bush fitted to the Mini can be used as a replacement for the felt.
http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/in ... ts_id=5803
Phil

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Sorry Phil, misread your post. Thanks for detailed explanation.
John