Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Heater matrix cleaning

Post by GavinL »

I'm refurbishing Vanessa's bits as I take them off :wink: , and have stripped the heater. the matrix is in reasonable condition, and appears not to be leaking, so I've flushed back and forward a couple of times, so it no longer runs brown. but i suspect there is still crud adhering to its inners ( one of the pipes was almost completely blocked with crud). Question is, what's the best for cleaning the radiator and heater matrix? Kilrock/ kettle descaler, citric acid, or other recommendations? it appears the heater matrix has steel headers and aluminium matrix, so i don't want use anything too aggressive.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Heater matrix cleaning

Post by oliver90owner »

It really depends on what the crud is. Descalers remove scale, degreasers remove oily deposits. They don't necessarily cover both duties.

You can ckeck if the matrix is blocked by running hot water through the cold matrix. If it gets hot quickly, there is no problem. Then it may be a case of "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it"
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Never tried it myself but hear cheap supermarket cola is good. Just fill it up and then rinise it all out a day or 2 later.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

If you are not sure you can buy a brand new one for about 17 pounds on eBay.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan