Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
surfergirl
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Cross with crossmember

Post by surfergirl »

Hi folks Happy Christmas from soggy Cornwall!
A bit of knowledge needed if your not too hungover, I'm replacing the floor and cross member end on the saloon I got before Xmas. Is there a set measurement for the distance between the torsion bar and the chassis leg.
The old one was so patched and mangled, the only thing I have to go on is maybe taking a measurement from the other side. Does the bar run parallel to the chassis leg from front to back?
Attachments
IMG_20171226_145906.jpg
IMG_20171226_145906.jpg (438.12 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Cross with crossmember

Post by les »

I hope you haven't swapped the van for a saloon, that would be terrible! :D

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The torsion bar parallel section (just forward of the rear torque reaction arm splined section) at its rear end is 8.3mm from the outer side of the chassis leg and the torsion bar nominally runs parallel to the chassis leg.

A tip as regards the horse shoe washer at the ear end of the torsion bar - ditch it and fit a full washer (Pt No: AAA1485 (MOSS)) either side of the cross member.
The torsion bar is then better located and secured in and too the cross member.
Just make sure that the step angle of the washer where it fits into the cross member is 90 degrees. I have found that the majority of new washers need putting in the lathe and cleaning up as they do not fit cleanly into the cross member hole.

surfergirl
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by surfergirl »

Thanks for that, if it ever stops raining I will measure up tomorrow. I've still got the moggy van and its used every day, the saloon will replace the "modern" Sherpa van that's is harder to get spares for even though its only 15 years old!
Attachments
IMG_20171226_150105.jpg
IMG_20171226_150105.jpg (586.62 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Probably no more than traces left of it, but the rear end of the chassis leg originally had a circular tag which aligned with the cross member hole. If that doesn't help your idea of measuring the corresponding distance on the other side is sound, but measure from the central area holes rather than the end as they are more likely to be truly symmetrical.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Mark
The tag you refer to - the little remains of which as can be seen in the top picture has mostly broken away so that is not going to be much good for getting the cross member outer piece in its correct position.
The torsion bar with the stepped washers fitted either side of the new cross member outer piece will hold the piece in position and the piece can then be adjusted into the absolute correct position.
The measurement given in my post above (8.3mm) is taken from the original factory fitted chassis legs (with tags) fitted to my Minor.
Phil

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Yes, I can see it now - shouldn't have tried to respond on the basis of a phone screen image!