Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
redduster
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Crankshaft pulley without timing marks.

Post by redduster »

On our 1971 Traveller the crankshaft pulley is without any form of static timing marks, which is interesting when trying to use a timing light on it!

Is this a common issue or peculiar to our engine?

To avoid this issue in the future would swapping to a pulley from another A series engine resolve this or are their any specific pulley types I should use?

Thanks

Redduster
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Crankshaft pulley without timing marks.

Post by oliver90owner »

Whether common or peculiar to your engine? I have no idea! Why you would be using a timing light for static timing is interesting in itself! :roll:

If there isn’t one, I would make one myself. No need to buy anything.

There only needs to be one on the pulley. Just a dot with a centre punch (or use a chisel), at the edge of the pulley rim, will suffice. Paint it, if you must :D
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

A+ engines had the timing marks at the top rather than down at the 7 O'clock position. Have you got a later pulley? Timing marks are a bit vague after years of getting battered on the timing cover so might be worth marking new ones. Sidevalve engines are even worse!

I use a 12v bulb across the points when I do the static timing.
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Be thankful that the timing marks are static as it would be a hell of a job trying to chase them around the pulley or timing cover. :roll:
Happy New Year.
The standard pulley has a notch cut into it which indicates when aligned with the large marker at the bottom of the timing cover the pistons are TDC on No: 1 and No: 4 cylinders but not necessarily TDC compression.

The pulley and or the timing chain cover may have been changed so eliminating any timing marks.
It is easy to set up a new mark for TDC No: 1 cylinder and when that is done all that is needed is a dash of white paint on the rim of the pulley and side of the timing cover adjacent to one another.
A photo of what you have fitted would be appreciated.
The best pulley for a 1098cc 'A' Series is the damped variety:-

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... sic/engine pulley.aspx|Back to search

They do come up for sale on 'e' bay occasionally but be aware that the damping rubber does tend to crack so examine any pulley offered or being considered carefully.
Phil

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

The old Austin Seven has the timing marks on the outer edge of the flywheel. I always thought that was a great idea. Much more accurate but a PITA on an engine with the old "Top mounted" starter motor, even with just 2 bolts to remove.

http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_ ... _is_it.htm
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Rob
Happy New Year to you.
Same then as the new Austin 7 (Mini) which you access through the cover on the flywheel housing.
Used to have a special little mirror on a bracket which bolted under one of the cover bolts for checking the timing.
Phil

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

You can make the mark yourself. I prefer to have the scale within the engine bay.
This shows the original damper that Phil has mentioned.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=67677#p619611
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan