Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andy W
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Wheely confused....

Post by Andy W »

Unless I am mistaken (wouldn't be the first time :lol: ) the normal wheel widths are 3" at the bead (4" outside edges) for the regular wheel & 3.5" at the bead (4.5" outside edges) for the LP917 wheel.

I have one wheel which appears to have been from an LCV (it looks to have been green originally & I have been told that LCV rims were painted as per the vehicle's body colour).

However, it is 4.5" at the bead & 5.5" at the outside edges.
It is not banded, has no LP number on the hubcap fitting flats & unfortunately is pitted where the stamps inside are.
You can still see the Dunlop logo & what may be "LP..7" inside though.

Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_3227.jpg
IMG_3227.jpg (133.31 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3231.jpg (152.24 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
IMG_3230.jpg
IMG_3230.jpg (124.38 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wheely confused....

Post by RobThomas »

Have you checked the PCD of the wheel nuts isn't 4.5 inch?

I have some 4 (5) and 4.5 (5.5) inch wide rims for our Lowlight which have a 4.5 inch PCD. Morris J4 Van.
Top photo is me comparing a J4 wheel to the Ford transit rimmed Minor 1000 wheel which also uses a smaller centre to locate the wheel to the hub. The second shot is a bog-standard 3-inch (4 at the outer edge) Minor 1000 wheel.
phil2a.jpg
phil2a.jpg (238.7 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
bob4.jpg
bob4.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 2447 times
Cardiff, UK
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I think what you have there is a rather rusty LP917 4.1/2" wheel isn't it? They measure about 5.5inches across.
For the record, I don't think any LCVs had body-coloured wheels as standard. I think they were generally silver although those supplied to the GPO were black I recall?
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I've got some identical looking ones in 15-inch dia, too.
Cardiff, UK
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

Ok, I see my error I think!
Thanks both of you.

The PCD is def. as my "68 Traveller...the LP917s were obviously wider than I thought then!

I had also been under the impression that LP917s were always stamped on the hubcap flats but it obviously varied.
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

The centre hole on the Minor wheel is about 66mm and the early MM 4.5 PCD wheels is about 69.5mm.

Cambridge wheel is 4 inch (5 at rim) and the J4 is 4.5 (5.5 at rim). My previous post was not entirely clear on that. :D
Cardiff, UK
welltravellered
Minor Friendly

Post by welltravellered »

Has anyone ever tried these? They appear to be the closest match to the original 5.20 tyre size. Are they suitable for a Morris Minor?

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m4b0s4741p11 ... oise%3A_XC
Morris Minor Traveller with 1.6 Suzuki Liana engine and Jimny 5 speed gearbox. MGB axle and Marina/MGB front brakes.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

They’re similar in width, but at 70 profile are massively smaller in diameter than the 5.20 crossplies. For what it’s worth, BMC offered 145 80 R14 radials as an option on later Minors....
welltravellered
Minor Friendly

I think 70 is the load rating on those tyres. They are 135 R14 size and if the profile isn't quoted then you assume the profile is 80 or 82 depending on who you speak to.
Morris Minor Traveller with 1.6 Suzuki Liana engine and Jimny 5 speed gearbox. MGB axle and Marina/MGB front brakes.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

‘My bad’ - I misread it. Even at 80 profile, I think they’d look tiny and they will affect the gearing on an already low-geared car, though I suspect the car would handle fine on them. Personally, though, I’d be inclined to stick with 145 80s.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would even consider a narrower tyre than standard when they cost over £100 each :o
There might not be a huge choice of tyres for the Minor but the Bridgestones suit very well and the newly re-introduced Pirelli is an interesting although more costly alternative.
For those on a budget, the Nankang 155 section tyres are good value and very effective.
welltravellered
Minor Friendly

Thanks for that info. There's more to it than I thought. :D