Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ek96
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine Vibration in every gear

Post by ek96 »

Hi All

I am having some issues with my poor Trav- there appears to be a very loud vibration which shakes the whole car and is at different speeds in different gears (it is in every gear) so is presumably rev dependant. You can "drive though" the vibration, but it feels pretty risky doing so! All smooth afterwards though. I'm afraid I don't have a rev counter so don't know for sure if it is revs causing this.

Also, not sure if this is related or not, but the engine is rather hesitant, particularly on overrun- there are "blips" in the running of the engine.

Recently, I have replaced the old worn dizzy with a New Lucas 45D which has vastly improved the running, but still not ideal... Timing is set statically at 5 degrees BTDC

Any ideas?
Thanks
simmitc

Re: Engine Vibration in every gear

Post by simmitc »

Check that all engine and gearbox mounts are OK.
Check all tyres - a damaged tyre can cause vibration and is potentially lethal.
Check propshaft - securing bolts and flange and condition of universal joints.
Does the vibration/noise occur in neutral or only whilst moving?
beero
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by beero »

You could put the back axle up on axle stands, start engine and run it through the gears to see if it still happens. If not it could be front wheels/suspension. If it does happen jacked up you may be able to see what is vibrating.

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Not likely prop shaft as that would be speed related, unless the vibration occurs on acceleration rather than constant speed on the flat.

Not likely front wheels either. As that would be speed related or there in all gears, not like the poster describes.

Tyres likewise would be speed related.

I would be starting with emgine and gearbox mounting security.

Question are:

Is the vibration only on acceleration, or not?

Does it make any difference whether driving in a straight line or cornering?

Is the vibration accompanied by any knocking noises - if so look for exhaust hitting body work.

Lastly, is the engine running on all four pots?

A more detailed description of the signs would be helpful as you drive in different gears. The indicated speeds would give some idea of the engine revs - not as good as a rev counter, but roughly proportional to the gearbox ratios.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

ek96,

Where are you based?

I changed the engine mounts a couple of year ago, and had a horrible vibration around 4,000 rpm, which cleared (ish) above 5,000 rpm. The engine is fully balanced, nothing else had been changed, exhaust routing etc., so that should have excluded most of the obvious reasons, but after reading a number of posts about duff 'new' engine mounts, got hold of 2 NOS mounts from an eBay seller in Italy, and back to being 'sweet as a nut' again!

An indication of road speed, and the gear being used, when the vibration starts and ends would be very helpful.
Richard

ek96
Minor Friendly

Post by ek96 »

Thanks a lot for all of the great suggestions guys, I’ll begin giving these a go as soon as I have sorted my vacuum advance, which I have opened another thread for!