Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

maniflow exhausts

Post by ampwhu »

does anyone have one of these systems fitted? are they a good upgrade?
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: maniflow exhausts

Post by philthehill »

As to whether it is a good upgrade or not will depend upon what you have done to the engine.
You also have three manifolds to choose from.
http://www.maniflow.co.uk/index.php?vie ... tegory=209
In some instances fitting a large bore LCB exhaust manifold can result in a degraded performance.
A LCB manifold should be only utilised as part of a tuning upgrade package.

If on a limited budget - the standard 1275cc Marina/Ital one piece cast iron inlet/exhaust manifold with the inlet section removed gives good performance when fitted to a Minor engine.
See Vizard for more details re this manifold.

I have the large bore LCB manifold fitted which was made by Maniflow but supplied back then by Janspeed but is a much needed upgraded as the camshaft opening/closing overlaps are very great.
Phil

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

sorry should have said. fitted with a standard 1098 or 948 engine.

I like the idea of fitter a HIF38 carb and with the standard exhaust manifold, I cant.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I already have a stainless exhaust, yesterday I spent 30 minutes in the shed with a hacksaw to cut the inlet part of the standard cast manifold off. HIF38 fitted straight on with a manifold from minimine (ebay). Dead easy.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Whilst removing the inlet section of a standard cast one piece Minor manifold will work the Marina exhaust manifold is better as the internal bore is larger and has better flow.
To mate to the Minor exhaust you will need ESM Marina to Minor front exhaust adapter pipe.
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/engine ... ss-p830058
Attachments
Marina manifold 1.jpg
Marina manifold 1.jpg (270.04 KiB) Viewed 4466 times

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

If anyone wants it, I have a Marina exhaust manifold that I’ve removed the inlet manifold from - don’t need it any more as I’ve now got a Maniflow LCB
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Have you noticed any difference between the two manifolds?
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Yes - the small bore LCB and matching system made a huge improvement to driveability and improved power on the rolling road, but my engine is quite modified. That said, the cam I’m using is fairly mild without big overlap. I was surprised at the difference the LCB made. I think on a relatively standard engine though, the Marina manifold would be a good improvement over standard.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i have got the maniflow exhaust on a 1098 with hif 38 carb and a 1275 head it works very well and sounds lovley , more upgrades to follow performance camshaft and lightened flywheel .
[sig]5641[/sig]
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

ive managed to get hold of a NOS manifold 12G 3538. think its from a rover metro?

ive also got a HIF38 carb now as well.

on the manifold, it has a 2" flange with 36mm internal bore. now I think the standard flange is 1.75".

so I would like to know if anyone has fitted this manifold and how did they get around the exhaust issue? reducer or a larger bore exhaust.

thanks

Alan
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

In some instances fitting a large bore LCB exhaust manifold can result in a degraded performance
Whilst that is completely true, the sound made by an LCB exhaust system will make you think you have at least 10 bhp more!!
Richard

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Use the pipe in the link below:-
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/engine ... el-p830087

Or the link in my post above

By using a reducer if necessary to suit your exhaust system either can be made to fit.

It is no good getting additional air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber without improving the exiting exhaust gas flow - I would therefore recommend fitting the ESM big bore kit or similar.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Just to clarify, the down pipe that Phil has listed is not compatible with a standard Minor exhaust, so isn’t an ‘adaptor’ as such. So you’ll need to by the large bore exhaust system including the boxes to go with it. If you’re going to the trouble of fitting a larger manifold, though, presumably that’s what you want to do? Otherwise, there is a Mini manifold that has the larger intake manifold, but the smaller exhaust manifold, meaning you could have the larger carb with the standard exhaust. Again, I’m not convinced it would really be worth changing, though, as I don’t think you’d get much if any mite power out of that set up.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I did say above that a suitable reducer will be required to mate the ESM Marina front pipe adapter to the existing Minor exhaust.
Whilst not perfect it will allow you carry out the first phase of upgrading the exhaust flow.

Here is a link to a typical reducer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Adap ... 1399339540

Make sure that the inlet and exhausts are the right size.
The adapter to get the best out of it should fit over the ESM adapter pipe and the Minor exhaust pipe.

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

after some in depth research, ive now decided on what I am doing. (its a shame my wife doesn't know after 16 years of marriage what she's doing still).

I have the HIF 38 carb and a marina manifold now. I am going to use the combined inlet/exhaust manifold, not an after market water cooled inlet manifold. I have also been to a fabricator to have a custom exhaust made. its a 40mm bore (36 id) and a single back box. same as the standard set up. ive gone for a simple baffle so I don't get restriction, but I don't want a loud note. this is all going to be in S/S. price was good compared to the cost of maniflow exhaust manifold, inlet and exhaust systems. the company make exhaust systems for Rolls Royce. they have made only one before and the owner reported back to them it was a perfect fit.

i'm happy and it should be with me in 4 weeks.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

I am now have the exhaust. one remaining question, would there be a spacer ring/gasket between the exhaust and manifold that the clamp goes around? the clamp I have is a fraction too big. (couple of MM). I could fill this with paste but am unsure.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There is no spacer ring between the Marina/Ital exhaust & manifold.
It is installed exactly the same way as the Morris Minor 1000 with the two piece clamp and two bolts/nuts and washers.

The part No: of the Marina/Ital manifold to exhaust pipe clamp is Pt No: GEX7284.

Here is a link to a correct manifold to exhaust pipe clamp:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Mani ... Sw~qxas74d

Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

As per some replies above....I modified my original manifold with judicious use of the angle grinder and thin cutting disc. Fitted a HiF38 onto a separate Holley inlet manifold. Standard 1098. Made a noticeable improvement in overall 'drivability' and all worked beautifully.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

philthehill wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:17 pm There is no spacer ring between the Marina/Ital exhaust & manifold.
It is installed exactly the same way as the Morris Minor 1000 with the two piece clamp and two bolts/nuts and washers.

The part No: of the Marina/Ital manifold to exhaust pipe clamp is Pt No: GEX7284.

Here is a link to a correct manifold to exhaust pipe clamp:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Mani ... Sw~qxas74d
cheers Phil