Hi from newbie

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Moggedit
MMOC Member: No

Hi from newbie

Post by Moggedit »

Hi all, I have once or twice visited a while ago and as it is, side tracked to other duties, so the Mog had to go on hold again…..I’ve been a Minor fan since my 1st car a grey 59 Traveller, which I’d love to get my hands on again, if I could locate it…EKT 246, not 100% sure about the number, Kent area…
I am working on an 803cc Austin gold seal engine, which I picked up at a car boot sale a few years ago, 70’s and dry stored since :-? My 56 Minor came to me with a 948cc which eventually failed, so I thought I’d take the opportunity and try going through life slightly slower.
I had read up here on modifying the crank case to a new oil seal, instead of the leaky felt original. I’m afraid I misunderstood something, as it leaks now considerably more, I think I might have removed too much of the ring holding the felt seal? Should I of only removed the inner circle so to say and left the outer lip attached to the casing?
Your advice will be much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1847-1.JPG
IMG_1847-1.JPG (29.62 KiB) Viewed 766 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Hi from newbie

Post by philthehill »

Welcome to the web site :D
It does look as if you have removed the felt seal carrier.
The neoprene lip seal (Pt No: 88G561) is fitted to later engines but does require the later timing chain cover (not crank case) (Pt No: 12A1419) and flat thrower washer/plate Pt No: 12A1148).

Moggedit

Post by Moggedit »

Hi Phil, does that mean for the modification of the 803 casing, I’ve removed too much material? Should it just be the inner circle? The replacement seal I received, didn’t fit in there….
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The 803cc timing chain cannot be modified to accommodate the neoprene lip seal. You have to replace the 803cc timing cover with the later timing cover which will accommodate the later neoprene lip seal.
Here is a link to the required timing chain cover (no matter that it is a Mini cover as it is the same):-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini ... SwXkNagHYz

This is the oil thrower plate to go with the new cover and lip seal:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini ... SwSzRZSnCS
Note the 'F' which indicates the front and should be fitted so it faces the front of the engine.

When fitting the new cover with the neoprene lip seal - fit the cover, gasket (grease the faces of the gasket) and bolts but do not tighten to bolts - fit the crankshaft pulley but do not fit and tighten the starter dog.
Turn the engine over a couple of turns - this will centralise the cover/seal around the crankshaft pulley. Tighten the timing chain cover bolts and then fit and tighten/lock the starter dog.
'A' Series timing chain covers can be found with the seal fitted from the inside or from the outside - either type is suitable.
Phil

Moggedit

Post by Moggedit »

Then I need to locate a lipped seal that fits into my modified / battered timing case, as the one I fitted is seated over the dog and against the inside casing :lol: :lol:
Moggedit

Post by Moggedit »

Ok Phil, thanks very much for the explanation and links. Where on earth did I get the modifying idea from :roll: :roll:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Ditch the modified and battered 803cc timing chain cover and obtain and fit the later cover as described above.
This is the seal required for the later cover.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... SwIQdZFHr8