Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Clutch pedal shaft.

Post by midget »

Had to renew the pedal shaft on the van due to excess wear. Also renewed the brake pedal bushes, and despite assembling correctly as per the manual, I still have some movement at the nut end in the chassis hole.
Is this normal, as I cant see that it would affect operation? The only way to tighten it up would be to machine the shaft back a small amount to allow the slotted washer to move inwards a little?

Picture is the worn shaft.

Also, what filter is correct for the spin on conversion (1098) please. Mini--its definitely not from Ital but may be Marina?
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Clutch pedal shaft.

Post by philthehill »

John
Just put a shimming plain washer on the inner end of the shaft.

I would recommend using a WIX WL7077 (or similar) oil filter as it is a larger oil filter and therefore has more filtering capacity.

The Wix WL7077 filter is 12cm long so check clearances between filter head and chassis rail.

The filter can be raised to give more oil filter clearance by using the 1275cc Midget filter raising adapter Pt No: AEA657.

GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

John, what do you mean by 'some' movement? There should be some movement laterally to allow for clearances, and i would have thought that less than a washers worth is acceptable - Phil, do you agree?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The clutch pedal should be completely free to rotationally move in the bushings without jamming or resistance.
There should be a little say 0.015" lateral play in the bushings.
I have just checked the lateral movement of the clutch pedal on my Minor which has the original bushes in the original chassis leg and there is slightly discernable play at/or around 0.015".

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Ok thanks.
Movement that I mentioned was not particularly lateral but general vertical and horizontal. It is a vast improvement on the original and I'm happy with result as it operates freely and smoothly. Have not access to a DTi to accurately measure the movement so will leave it as it is.
Looks to me that it would better with a shouldered/stepped thick washer on the outside of the chassis to locate the shaft successfully?

As to the filter suggestions, I have sussed that the conversion head that I have is from a 1275 Midget. Type of filter if any one is interested is Mann 712 or Alco 828 which have the correct mounting of 3/4" UNF. Didn't bother with the longer filter as will be changing oil early with recon engine and it looks to very tight to chassis, and plan to fit the A+ later.
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
Whilst fitting the stepped washer may be better - fitting a plain 5/8" I.D. (shim) washer is so much easier.
Phil