Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller B Post rubber packings

Post by Mark Wilson »

One of the many wonderful things about this site is the obscure but valuable information others supply! On GavinL's recent door spring thread Biomed32 provided this link to a chap in Germany who is producing a few hard to find Minor parts

http://www.paulparts.at/contents/en-uk/ ... s.html#p79

One of his items is a "Traveller Anti-rattle rubber" described as

"Rubber 2mm thick, fits from the sill to the top with little spare. (ca 10cm x 112cm)
This rubber is used on the Morris Minor Traveller between the B-Post and the wood. This reduces the possibility of squeeking and rubbing- Because chassis is always moving no matter how tight you will bolt them together.
For the car You will need 2 pcs, therefore the price is for two pcs. (1 Pair)"

At less than three quid for the pair I'm tempted - but is this an answer to a problem that doesn't really exist? I didn't drive mine long enough before starting the resurrection to notice any "sqeeking", certainly not above the general noise level. Does anyone recognise the problem and think this is a good idea?

Mark
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Traveller B Post rubber packings

Post by ManyMinors »

Never had any squeaking from mine either before or after replacing the timber frame. When I replaced the timber I applied strips of caulking (much the same as used in the original assembly) prior to fitting the timber, to seal that join and others. It seemed to work perfectly well. If you fit a rubber and it later starts to perish, it will be a big job to replace it.
I personally see no need to fit a rubber there.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks - couldn't see securely bolted up posts on mastic moving myself either, just intrigued by something I hadn't heard of before :)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I reinforce ManyMinors POV, I've always used and seen mastic, never heard of rubber. I'd be worried that rubber would compress over time and allow looseness to set in.