Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ASL642
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: minor van rear suspension

Post by ASL642 »

PM = Private Message. If you look at my post to the right under my name and location there is a little box with PM in.
Scroll back to Frank's last post and click on the PM box under his name. You will then be able to send him a message which will be directed to his emal ad. Hope this helps >>>>>>>>>>>

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Vigil
Minor Fan

Post by Vigil »

Thank you very much -
Your a great person to help me out.
I do not use a computers very much so i am still learning all the time.
For an old guy i do pretty well most of the time....lol

Vigil
[b]-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*

1959 Morris Minor Van

Morris Minor Registry Of North America
http://www.morrisminor.us/

-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*[/b]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Pleased to help. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
moke-man
Minor Friendly

Post by moke-man »

Help required. I have a van with a decent chassis. BUT a previous owner has attempted to fit a jag back axle. He Has removed the end of the tube where the front of the springs mount. I believe all of the large diameter to be there. Looking at an old drawing on this page it shows that mounting stud as a spares item. My first question is, is how does the mounting stud fix to the tube? Secondly if it used to be sold as a spares item can I replace what's been sawn off? I want to return the van to the correct set up. Thank you. Tony
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

The pin assy Pt No: AAA3390 has two sleeves attached to it which fits tightly inside the ends of the tubular cross member Pt No: AAA3386 and then is secured by welding the pin/sleeve in place (see picture below)
If there is not sufficient material/tube left to secure the pin/sleeve in place you can obtain a replacement tubular cross member from ESM.
http://www.morrisminorspares.com/body-i ... 86-p829210
A photo of what is left of the tubular cross member especially the ends would be of benefit as regards further advice.
Attachments
Morris van spring mount.jpg
Morris van spring mount.jpg (91.47 KiB) Viewed 2322 times

moke-man
Minor Friendly

Post by moke-man »

That is more than I could have hoped for. You are indeed a legend. And I am the Moke-Man!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The tube into which this pin assembly is inserted has two 8mm diameter holes drilled at 180 degrees to each other, in a position that coincides with where the inner sleeve sits when in situ. These holes are there to enable a weld to secure the inner sleeve to the tube. Of course these holes will need redrilling as they will have been filled from the previous assembly! The front sleeve has a ring of weld attaching it to the tube.

moke-man
Minor Friendly

Post by moke-man »

My sincere thanks Les. Who knows where I can purchase AAA3390 X 2?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Minor magic in Australia have at least 1. Don't laugh I used this firm when nowhere else in the world could I get the rubber bush for my oil bath air filter!

https://minormagic.com.au/rear-spring-f ... epair-stud

Tho' at that price and adding postage the replacement tubular cross member, mentioned by Phil, from ESM looks very attractive.....

AND Nordisk Morris Minors apparently do them - Part No 9

http://www.morrisminor.dk/parts/minor/minor_25e.html
Attachments
253.jpg
253.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

On this topic, could anyone tell me the size/thread of the original nut which secures the front of the spring to the aforementioned mount please?I have a new chassis(a future projects one)from esm, but the nuts that came off the old one are reluctant to engage properly.
Maybe they are a different thread on new one.
John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You could get a couple made cheaper than that. The sleeves could be cut from flat 6mm plate, and the shaft made from round bar, and the end threaded. If need be I can provide dimensions if you decide to go this route.
Re nut thread, I would say the original is a bsf thread, and the one fitted to your chassis possibly/probably Metric. Ive heard those chassis are well made, it would be a pity if the threads do happen to be non original.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks Les, but that is what I thought--but no, tried a metric of the same diameter and it was way out. Asked an ESM guy at the National but he said that as far as he knew it was the original BSF. Tried contacting Future Projects but no luck. Not desperate yet--but it will be!
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
Try a UNF nut - there is a tendency to use UNF threads on after market parts these days.

The threads may be I.S.O. Metric fine

What is the O.D. of the threads?

Phil

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Phil, just measured,it's bang on 1/2 inch, exactly the same as the old chassis that I do still have. I have(Purely to save the thread ends )a metric nut on each side which easily screws all the way in but is very "loose" so obviously not the correct pitch. The chassis is in the rebuild stage so nowhere near driveable.
Just to be sure--what was the original thread? 1/2 inch bsf or unf? Most of the other stuff is bsf.

Edited to say that I have just found a 1/2" nf 20 in my meager collection of dies, and it is nowhere near.
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
From your post above and comparing the pitch threads on both Metric and BSF taps I am pretty certain that the threads are 1/2" x 16 TPI.
Holding a Metric 1.5 thread gauge and a 16TPI gauge together there is little difference so a metric 1.5 nut will be able to screw on a 16 TPI BSF thread.

So to sum up I am 99.9% sure that it is 1/2" x 16TPI BSF thread.
Phil

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Thanks Phil. I'll order a couple.
John